Warning alarm buzzer sounds when engine is cold

Just found this thread and thank the water God's!!!

My alarm goes off simply starting the ski in or out of the water. Some research says that a bad fuel float will cause it to alarm, even with a full tank. The oil is full, fuel is full, and entire system is COLD and yet when starting under those circumstances the alarm still goes off.

Thanks to this thread I was able to disconnect the alarm and monitor it via a volt meter vs. that annoying sound.

Guess my question is -- is there any truth to the fuel float issue causing the alarm?

The PWC runs like a champ otherwise....at a dead-end....
    Last edited by K447; 06-14-2015 at 06:03 PM.

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I think its just the oil level and overheat that sounds the alarm. A short to ground in either circuit will also sound the buzzer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    I think its just the oil level and overheat that sounds the alarm. A short to ground in either circuit will also sound the buzzer
    I've hit the buzzer with the volt meter but NOT the OHM meter...going to check that now....

It's just odd if as you say only oil and over temp sounds the alarm then starting it cold and full of fluids it makes sense that a short is to blame.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CSouris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    I've hit the buzzer with the volt meter but NOT the OHM meter...going to check that now....

It's just odd if as you say only oil and over temp sounds the alarm then starting it cold and full of fluids it makes sense that a short is to blame.
    Disconnect the battery first. Disconnect the buzzer.

Then use the ohm meter to measure ohms between engine ground and the temp sensor wire (which is also the wire that goes to one side of the buzzer). A cold temp sensor should measure open circuit, infinite ohms.

If the oil tank is full the oil sensor should also measure open circuit. If either sensor is closed (grounded) then the warning buzzer will sound.

K447 you were correct once again...while working on another issue (the one you also helped me on) I found that the buzzer line was also shorted out.

Thread Information