Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 zxi 1100 won't stay on!!!

Hello, so I recently received a 98 zxi 1100. The previous owner thinks the issue the ski has is with whatever charges the battery, he said he would have the ski on for around 30 minutes but then it shuts off. He said in order to turn it back on he would have to recharge the battery. After I went and picked it up and had it at our "auto" shop I tried to turn it on but the battery had no charge. I connected a jumper box to the battery and tried to turn it on, it cranked but didn't want to stay on, then I sprayed starting fluid and it kinda started for 4 seconds but then it shut off. I did it a couple off time and I kept getting the same results. I'm new to jet ski's so I don't know much about them, help will be appreciated. Another thing I forgot to mention, I saw this ski sitting outside during the winter if that has anything to do with it.

+1
    Could be something as simple as a loose/dirty connection. Check both ends of the battery cables.

Keep in mind that if you run it more than about 15 seconds or so, you must supply cooling water via the flush port.

Also, NEVER allow the water to run when the engine isn't! Start the engine, turn on the water. Turn off the water, shut off the engine. Leaving the water running when the engine isn't can cause MAJOR engine damage.

Ok, I'll check the cables but why would the engine try to start only when I spray starting fluid. The engine does crank but it doesn't want to go all the way unless I spray in the flame arestor and still shuts off right away.

+1
    Sometimes it takes a while for fuel to get to the carbs. Especially true if it's been sitting for a long time.

If it wasn't stored properly, gum may have formed in the fuel system.

So how should I go by checking the fuel system or should I clean the carbs ?

+1
    Your description is very confusing. Start by pulling the spark plugs and tell us what they look like. While you've got them out, do a compression test. Make sure to ground the spark plug wires when you do it. Hold the throttle open, too.

Try engaging the choke about halfway and see if it runs better.

I haven't got to do a compression test or check the plugs but I got it to start (using water hose) and when I gave it a little bit of throttle and the engine stalled. What could be the cause for it to stall?
    Last edited by Jose04; 06-17-2015 at 10:23 AM.

+1
    I have no earthly idea.

You said that it would run for 30 minutes, then just quit. That plus the dead battery makes it sound like a loose battery connection or something.

You said that you could get it to start, but only briefly, which sounds like a fuel supply problem.

Are you using the choke to start it?

The previous owner was the one telling me that he could get the ski running for around 30 minutes and then shuts off and in order for him to turn it back on he would need to remove the battery, charge it for a while and then he would get it to start.

I did get the ski to start and left it on idle (but not for 30 minutes). I gave it throttle and engine just stalled. I took out the carbs and cleaned them, I'm just waiting so it could stop raining so I can install the carbs back.

Yes I am using the choke to start it.

Once you get the carbs on, report back. Remember that these things live in a high moisture environment, corroded cables and connectors happen a lot. If it does indeed run fine but doesn't charge, I'd go through all the wires and connectors on the charging circuit before putting a stator in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information