Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seadoo vs Yamaha

Last year I purchased a 2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser. Not a bad PWC, the engine was magnificent which is partly why I went with the Yamaha. However, I felt the hull to be of poor quality. The gel coat started chipping away and you could start to see the fiberglass. I also started to get water in the engine compartment when just touring on calm water. The dealer for Yamaha was completely horrible as well....so I sold the Yammy with 15 hours on it and swore never to purchase from that dealer again. I also felt that the PWC was not as stable asexpected...especially when getting aboard, felt like she would flip right over at times. When the PWC was moving it was fine though. Where the machine had open loop cooling and I was on salt water mostly, it became a pain in the butt flushing it out with the hose.

So today I went into my local Sea Doo dealer and purchased a Sea Doo GTI. Never even ridden a Seadoo before so I was looking for some feedback on what I should expect.

Anyone have any opinions on how comparable the Seadoo will be compared to the Yammy? I am just a person who likes to tour around the salt water. I am hoping the hull is leaps and bounds over the Yammy, also hope the stability is there. I know the BRP engine isn't as good as the Yamaha. But I am hoping the Seadoo hull will make up for any engine short comings.

+1
    Which GTI? Non SC motor should give very good service life.

+1
    Well I hope I didn't make a mistake. Just sold my 2014 GTI 215 and purchased a 2015 FX Cruiser SVHO.

I rarely drove the GTI but the wife complained it chimed back and forth when towing the kids. And she wasn't very impressed with rough water riding but all she has to compare from is my RXP-X.

Personally for the money I think it's a good ski with great performance.
    Last edited by Askin; 06-13-2015 at 09:29 PM.

+1
    Ira, IMO, for what you want from a ski, the GTI should serve you well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    Where the machine had open loop cooling and I was on salt water mostly, it became a pain in the butt flushing it out with the hose.
    You still need to flush the SeaDoo after you ride it in the salt water. That goes for all skis.

7. +1 by:

+1
    The best PWC would probably be a Sea Doo with a Yamaha engine. Short of that, it depends on what you want it to do. If Sea Doo adds a 4th cylinder they'll have the best of everything IMO...

+1
    Kawi has my vote

+1
    They're both very good machines. Sea-Doos get a bad rap because of all the engine problems in the past. They also had problems with their 2 stroke machines. Their 4-stroke engines are now very reliable, and if you have a super-charger model (or one with an intercooler), and you take care of them properly, you can avoid issues. The Sea-Doos have excellent hulls, and the Yamahas are comfortable and powerful. It really depends on what you like, and what you need, but don't let anyone convince you that one is significantly better or worse than the other.

11. +1 by:

+1
    The hull on the GTI is fairly stable even with three people on it I've never had the impression it was going to flip over. The hull is fairly flat which lets it ride a little higher on the water making a very dry ridding ski but this also comes with the challenge there's not a lot of draft and as somebody mentioned earlier it sometimes doesn't track straight well I even notice in strong currents it's getting pushed side to side and you have to fight it a bit. Also as someone mentioned earlier you will need to flush and rinse this ski after each salt wAter use. Get the flush kit or you will hate flushing this ski more then you did the Yamaha. Overal an upgrade from the vx def will be a more fun ride then the vx the biggest down fall I think to the Gti is no true dry storage you will also see a little water in this hull if you start to see a lot make sure to check the carbon seal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information