Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Rebirth of our 95 SPX

Well here goes nothing. Time to part with this yard ornament or see if I can breathe new life into her.
    3 years ago I started up the ski in the spring without first greasing everything and sure enough the shaft was stuck to the bearing and it damaged the hull where the shaft exits. A few parts were ordered but it was never repaired.
    I want to get this up and running reliably in less than two weeks as we are already half way throug June and we have a pretty short riding season up here in New England. Two weeks might sound like a lot of time but with my work schedule and obligations I will really have to figure a way to get it done. This whole process started a couple days ago but I just found this forum now.

I brought the Jet Ski into the garage to give it a good look over to try and see what steps need to be taken to make her once again Sea Worthy.
    After trying to get the engine to turn over and the starter just “clicking” I figured first up would be a starter rebuild. (I did try jumping the solinoid but it still wouldn't start)
    Only problem is the starter is in a really bad location to access. Realizing this and also knowing I wanted to replace all the fuel lines and clean up the engine compartment I decided it would be best to just pull the motor.
    this project just seemed to get more in depth very quickly.......wish me luck and feel free to help out with any words of wisdom !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	362088  
    Last edited by ScubaSteve413; 06-13-2015 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Engine is out!

Well the engine is out !! No turning back now

note to self: Take more pics of the process and not just the before and after.

Views:	65 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	362089   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	77 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	362090  

Cleaning things up

Before and after of the motor. I don't have an after of the engine compartment.

Im not looking for a museum quality detailing just looking to have everything cleaned up and looking decent for a 21 year old machine.

Views:	62 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	362093   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	63 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	362092   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	59 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	362091  

The starter pulled apart for a good cleaning and new brushes. It turned out to be a pretty easy straightforward job.
    The cost of a new OEM starter was $250. The cost for new brushes was only $12. I could of went the Chinese starter way but It really was a no brainer to try and salvage the factory starter.

After cleaning it up and installing the new brushes I bench tested it with my jump box and it's working perfect.

Views:	68 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	362094  
    Last edited by ScubaSteve413; 06-13-2015 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Fuel lines

The old fuel lines. I ordered a 25' roll of new fuel line and 30 new 1/4" stainless hose clamps from Amazon. Total cost was $34.12 with shipping. should be in the mail tomorrow

I also ordered a new fuel selector switch as we could only run with the old one on reserve and the knob was cracked. (18.95 shipped off of eBay).

I thought about just bypassing the switch but in the end I figured if it saves us just one time from being stranded after running out of fuel its a pretty cheap investment.

Views:	64 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	362096   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	362095  

Motivation

Last nights Sunset = motivation to get wrenching!

I am hoping to get all the new fuel lines installed tomorrow and with any luck even the motor !!

Views:	61 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	362097  

+1
    I love these resto threads. Nice to see people giving the older models some love. Good job.

I'm a big time dog person. How about a little info about your "riding buddy" in your avatar?

Thanks CrazyA, That was Brandy. She was an unbelievably awesome dog. We had to have a standing rule to keep our windows in our car/truck up while in the driveway and the boat cover on at all times or she would get in and sit there until we brought her for a ride. She didn't care if she had to wait for hours. She passed away a few years ago from Cancer. We were able to get her one last summer with steroid and chemo treatments but when the Cancer came back it came back strong and fast. Everyone around loved seeing her on the Jet Ski. We always got so many waves and smiles from ppl,

Fuel sending baffle question

Question? I found a small magnet in the fuel tank. I assumed it was from the float level inside the baffle but when I opened it up there were two magnets already there. Is it safe to assume this came from a previous baffle? Or could it have come from somewhere else in this baffle?

I'm pretty sure it would have come from an old baffle but just want to make sure i'm not missing anything,

Views:	62 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	362142   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	68 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	362141  
    Last edited by ScubaSteve413; 06-13-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve413 View Post
    Question? I found a small magnet in the fuel tank. I assumed it was from the float level inside the baffle but when I opened it up there were two magnets already there. Is it safe to assume this came from a previous baffle? Or could it have come from somewhere else in this baffle?

I'm pretty sure it would have come from an old baffle but just want to make sure i'm not missing anything,
    When I had mine out it looked exactly like yours does and I think that it's right, but I wonder if that magnet you found is somehow attached to the flat spot between the other magnets on the float. I'd be interested in knowing as my fuel gauge doesn't work.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information