need accelerator pump?

I have a 98 XPL that I built from scratch about 8 yrs ago. Ran great until a couple years ago when it started bogging down, no acceleration, backfiring. Took me a couple years to get around to fixing it this year. Pulled the carbs off recently and rebuilt both, plus accelerator pump. Now I just realized that I am missing the arm/cam for the accelerator pump. I'm assuming someone previously rebuilt carbs, rejetted them, and didn't need the accelerator pump. However, I just put a stock rebuild kit in so now it is factory again. Do I need this accelerator pump? I cannot find this arm (or "diaphragm cover") listed anywhere used. I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on this.

I did install the carbs yesterday, without realizing the arm was missing, and started the ski. Took forever to start but did actually start and run for a few seconds before stalling and backfiring again. Not sure if this is the same backfiring issue as before, or if this is because the settings aren't right on the carbs yet.

I just bought a boat and really need to sell this ski for boat money. Can I run the ski without the accelerator pump? Or does someone have an arm they want to sell me?

Thanks.

+1
    you dont need the accelerator pump if you change the jets but the rebuild kit doesnt come with new jets anyway so if it was already re jetted, you would have had to buy new jets to put it back to stock. Backfiring wouldnt be from a lean acceleration anyway. If you had stock jetting and no accelerator pump and you floor it from ah idle, it should just bogg. sometimes it takes off after the bog and sometimes it just stalls out. Either way, no backfire. Try changing the plugs and see how it runs in the water

+1
    If its Backfiring your ignition timing is wrong.Have you changed the mag cup at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    you dont need the accelerator pump if you change the jets but the rebuild kit doesnt come with new jets anyway so if it was already re jetted, you would have had to buy new jets to put it back to stock. Backfiring wouldnt be from a lean acceleration anyway. If you had stock jetting and no accelerator pump and you floor it from ah idle, it should just bogg. sometimes it takes off after the bog and sometimes it just stalls out. Either way, no backfire. Try changing the plugs and see how it runs in the water
    Oh you're right! I was thinking needle/seat, not jets. I replaced needle/seats. I never had a problem with acceleration before, until it started acting up a couple seasons ago. So maybe it was rejetted and it should be ok now without the pump.

Any idea what I should set the carb settings to, if it was rejetted?

I already tried new plugs and I just ordered a new fuel filter.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    If its Backfiring your ignition timing is wrong.Have you changed the mag cup at all ?
    This is my fear. No, the flywheel and cup were put on correctly when I built the engine (after several tries). It ran great for about 6 or 7 years. I took it to the ocean the last season it ran good (I'm on great lakes). And I flipped it and the air filter fell off and I assume I sucked some salt water into the carbs. I did flush the engine with salt away after I came out of the water. But it was the following season that it started running like crap. Hesitating, stalling at idle, and backfiring while trying to start.

So this year I pulled the carbs to rebuild them, and they definitely needed it, one of them was disgusting inside. But my fear is that wasn't the problem. I've been reading about how it could bee the woodruff key on the crank. Not sure how the crank would get out of alignment. I don't feel like taking the front plate off to inspect so I was hoping it was something with the carb settings. For the few seconds it was running yesterday, it sounded fine. But the carb was definitely not adjusted right and I had to keep giving it throttle to keep it running but it kept wanting to die and did. Then backfired again when I tried to start.

If I pull the front plate off the engine to inspect the crank, can I see the key right away? Or do I have to remove that nut or the flywheel before I can see if it's off alignment?

+1
    Check your reeds as well.

Thread Information