VX110 Weird Oil Change Happenings

A little background, I just finished pulling the engine to re-seal the infamous drive plate.

While I had the engine out I did some preventive maintenance (replace hose clamps, spark plugs, coat engine with fluid film) and an oil change using the drain plug at the bottom of the engine to remove as much oil as possible. I removed 4 qts.

I got the ski all back together last night and added back 4 qts of oil to my surprise it filled the oil tank up to the brim it did drain down slightly but remained overfilled. I tried staring the engine after cranking a few times with the injectors unplugged and the oil level did not drop.

It also had a bad misfire, engine ran great before it was removed. The engine would not idle on its own but after running it for a couple minutes the oil level still had not dropped but appeared to be circulating. When i turned the engine off it gurgled oil up through the intake which is typically a sign the oil is overfull.

I just don't understand how I could have drained 4 qts from the engine and it only need half of that refilled the oil was checked and at the correct level before engine was removed. Is there a special procedure I need when draining from the plug rather than the typical suction method when the engine is in the ski.

Are you sure you actually took out 4 quarts? Using the drain plug on the back of the oil pump will only drain about 2 quarts. The rest of the oil remains in the oil tank and engine, and may slowly drain to the drain plug, but that would take days or weeks to happen. So, the other 2 quarts will still have to be drained from the oil tank in the usual method by pumping it out.

The way you do a total oil change on the MR-1 engine is to warm the engine then first extract oil out of the oil tank (this will remove about 2 quarts). Then you remove the drain plug to get out about another 2 quarts. Then you remove the oil filter which contains a small amount of oil.

I have a system on my MR-1 attached to the drain plug hole that allows me to remove all the oil. You can only remove about 2 quarts total from the lower drain plug alone. My guess is that you removed about 2 quarts or maybe a little more from the drain plug, but left oil in the oil tank. Then you added 4 quarts, which effectively left you close to 2 quarts overfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    Are you sure you actually took out 4 quarts? Using the drain plug on the back of the oil pump will only drain about 2 quarts. The rest of the oil remains in the oil tank and engine, and may slowly drain to the drain plug, but that would take days or weeks to happen. So, the other 2 quarts will still have to be drained from the oil tank in the usual method by pumping it out.

The way you do a total oil change on the MR-1 engine is to warm the engine then first extract oil out of the oil tank (this will remove about 2 quarts). Then you remove the drain plug to get out about another 2 quarts. Then you remove the oil filter which contains a small amount of oil.

I have a system on my MR-1 attached to the drain plug hole that allows me to remove all the oil. You can only remove about 2 quarts total from the lower drain plug alone. My guess is that you removed about 2 quarts or maybe a little more from the drain plug, but left oil in the oil tank. Then you added 4 quarts, which effectively left you close to 2 quarts overfilled.
    Ok that makes sense but I drained it into an old oil jug and thought it measured out to about 4. However maybe I misread it. I did have the engine on the hoist leaning pretty far backwards towards the plug while it was draining. But I may have mistaken how much came out. Now if I could get this misfire taken care of I could let it run and check the oil level. I did suck out about two qts of the oil and the level in the tank seems more correct. Any guesses where my misfire might be coming from only thing that was changed were the spark plugs.

+1
    You probably misread the old oil, I just replaced VX110 oil a while ago, I only could pull out a bit more than 2 quarts for the max.

If you ran it overfilled with oil, you may have fouled a plug.

Thread Information