Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polaris genesis 1200 Ficht - voltage rectifier

Does anyone know where the voltage rectifier is on a 1999 Polaris Genesis 1200 Ficht?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are two DC power outputs on a Ficht engine, both are inside the main EMM engine module. One provides 12 volt battery charging and the other provides 45 volts for the EMM and fuel injectors.

Welcome to Greenhulk

What is the problem you are trying to diagnose?

If you are new here, I suggest clicking on my signature links and reading up on the Ficht system.

The issue I have been experiencing with the voltage is that sometimes after the engine is started the voltage will go above 14 volts. When I add throttle the voltage will continue to rise until about 18 volt, which causes the display on the Jet Ski to blink out and reset.

Thank you for the forms they have been really helpful over the years.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    unless your battery is in very good shape, I'd be checking that first, since emm repairs are kinda pricey

if the battery is a lead acid type and low on electrolyte you could see this kind of issue.

don't waste a whole lot of time donking around with this issue..you need to get it corrected quickly

check the resistance from the negative battery cable to engine ground ( should be about zero)

an interesting possibility might be to add an external voltage regulator, but since I would suspect that the emm is depending on that 12v output for some fucntions, it will likely require an emm repair ( and a new agm battery to protect that repair investment)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ... possibility might be to add an external voltage regulator, but since I would suspect that the emm is depending on that 12v output for some functions, it will likely require an emm repair ( and a new agm battery to protect that repair investment)
    The Ficht EMM does not use 12 volt battery power for anything. It produces battery charge voltage but the rest of the EMM uses only the 45 volt injector power feed for all the EMM engine management functions; ignition, injectors, etc.

Internally the 12 volt output and the 45 volt output share the same EMM power section and some of the voltage regulation circuitry is interconnected.

An excessive battery voltage will quickly damage the battery via overcharging. High battery voltage would also risk the LR-503 Start/Stop module.

The bilge pump, which runs continuously when the engine is running, would also risk burn out from excess voltage.

Use a multi-meter to confirm the actual battery voltage is excessive, not just the MFI display reporting inaccurate voltages.

Ok, here is what I have tried so far.

• I have checked the resistance from the negative battery post to the engine mount and receive a reading of 0.

• The battery is 1 year old and is a lead acid type. I have checked the levels on the battery and it is between low and high. I also winterize the battery by removing it from the ski and placing it in a climate control location and on a charger.

• I have replaced the EMM two years ago because it would not supply the necessary power the fuel injectors needed. I also removed this from the jet ski when I winterize it. I figure with have to pay $600 for this part that I can afford to give it a warm/dry home for the winter.

o I double checked the cables going to the EMM and they are on snuggly.

• I connect a multi-meter to the battery and set it to DCV. Before starting the jet ski the battery readed 12.6 volts. While starting the ski it dropped to 11.3 volts. When the engine was idling the muli-meter read 12.2 volts, but the MFI display reported 14.4. When I increase the rpm’s the multi-meter showed 12.2 - 12.9 volts, but MFI would show an increase ranging from 15.3 - 18.6 depending on how high I revved the engine.

o Should I ignore the voltage reading on the MFI?
    Last edited by mhooker; 06-13-2015 at 02:32 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mhooker View Post
    • I connect a multi-meter to the battery and set it to DCV. Before starting the jet ski the battery readed 12.6 volts. While starting the ski it dropped to 11.3 volts.

When the engine was idling the muli-meter read 12.2 volts, but the MFI display reported 14.4. When I increase the rpm’s the multi-meter showed 12.2 - 12.9 volts, but MFI would show an increase ranging from 15.3 - 18.6 depending on how high I revved the engine.

The correct battery voltage when the engine is running should be above 13.5 volts, typically very close to 14.5 volts with a well charged battery. So the reported 12.2 to 12.9 volts with engine running is too low.

Obviously the MFI voltage reading is high and perhaps inaccurate. If the MFI is genuinely out of calibration it can be corrected by resetting the MFI voltage reference.

With engine off the MFI was showing 2.2 volts higher than actual (if your multimeter is accurate). With engine running you are saying the displayed voltage delta was much more than 2.2 volts. This seems odd.

12.2 volts is low for a healthy and fully charged battery. I would expect 12.5 or slightly higher for a fully charged liquid acid battery. Do you have another multimeter to verify the voltages?

My main concern is that the measured battery charging voltage is incorrect, too low. Something is not right

Where were you connecting the multi-meter?

What model year is this Genesis?

When I test the battery I placed the multi-meter leads on the terminals.

The Jet Ski is a 2000 Polaris Genesis Ficht.

Before doing another round of voltage testing I remove moved and then reinserted the 3 connections going the EMM. I also check the cables going to the battery to make sure they were on tightly.

After doing this I do not seem to get the voltage spike that I was experiencing on MFI. The table below shows the figures:

Note: engine start refers to the first few seconds after start when the voltage numbers are at their greatest change.
    Saturday Multimeter MFI
    Engine Off 12.3 12.0
    Engine Start 11.99 12
    Idle 12.3 12.3
    Rev to 6000 RPM’s 12.9 12.9

Sunday Multimeter MFI
    Engine Off 12.3 12.0
    Engine Start 11.87 ?
    Idle 12.5 12.4
    Rev to 6000 RPM’s 12.9 12.9

Monday Multimeter MFI
    Engine Off 12.3 11.9
    Engine Start 11.99 14.9
    Idle 12.1 12.3
    Rev to 6000 RPM’s 12.6 12.6

Tuesday Multimeter MFI
    Engine Off 12.2 11.9
    Engine Start 12.2 14.7
    Idle 12.3 12.3
    Rev to 6000 RPM’s 12.8 12.8

Wednesday Multimeter MFI
    Engine Off 12.1 11.9
    Engine Start 12.5 15.6
    Idle 12.9 12.4
    Rev to 6000 RPM’s 11.87 14.8

To help keep the 3 connectors on the EMM dry should I apply Vaseline to outside of the male connector?

+1
    All the engine running voltages you are reporting are way too low. Something is not correct with the battery charging system.

When the engine is running the voltage at the battery should be at least 13.5 volts and normally is close to 14.5 volts.

You are showing voltages of 12.x which is the battery voltage with no charging input. There is a circuit breaker (15 amp) between the battery and the charging output from the EMM 8-pin connector. You can check that circuit breaker, but if it was bad I would think there would be other problems, not just battery charging.

My suspicion is that the EMM battery charging section has failed or there is a problem with the 8-pin connector or the wires from that connector. Red/Purple wires carry the battery charge voltage.

Also remove, clean and check all the engine ground connections. There are two at the left rear of the engine and one near the front ignition coil. Remove all corrosion and old Loctite. Clean the bolt and the bolt hole threads.

Use Nyogel dielectric gel on the bolt threads, and the wire ends. Do not use Loctite on the grounding bolts.

When the problems have been fixed, use Nyogel dielectric grease on the thin flexible seals of each connector (Deutsch and Weatherpack). Do not use Vaseline or any other petroleum product.

+1
    ... 1999 Polaris Genesis 1200 Ficht ...

The Jet Ski is a 2000 Polaris Genesis Ficht...
    Exactly which model year is this machine? What are the last four digits on the HIN number plate on the rear deck?

There are important differences between 1999 and 2000 Genesis Ficht models.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information