Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will continuous Towing at two person Tube burn up my Spark

New member, 1st post.

I just got a 2015 spark 3UP 90hp with all the stock options. We love it! We live on lake and tow a tube almost every other day.

I absolutey love it. So easy to pull it up and catch air. My neck actually hurts from jumping waves all day. When you it a set of 3 rolling wave from a big boat you can actually affect your air time dramatically by jumping up with you body weight an pulling up like an old BMX bike and clear the middle wave completely. So Fun, it wears me out quickly. (46yr) My cow waverunner xl1200 only got air on itís own power , trying to pull up by springing the legs did nothing. I got the spark to porpoise , jump over and over on the start with wife and I both on it. She was screaming.

I pulled three teens on big 3 man tube and it did ok , but I really had to work it, the tail end did get pull around a lot. I babied it every time and had to gradually ramp up to speed, but once I got there I had no problem slinging them off the tube on turns in low chop.

We went to just two tube riders and it made a big difference. We Tube probably 75% of the time .. do you think this is going to be too hard on the engine. We donít try and gun it out of the gate, We slowly build up momentum so the engine is not screaming hot while it and the tube are trying to plane out.

Are there any specific MODs, (impeller , stanless wear ring , air filter) that would help, I am not looking to increase my top end speed ( 48mph is fast enough) I just want to give the engine any help while it is pulling the tube to extend engine life.

+1
    As far as I know it is not legal to be towing anymore than one person on a 3up PWC and you must have a passenger facing the tube/skier as a flag person and spotter.

3. +1 by:

In my state, the regs state you can only pull a tuber/etc behind a 3 person or greater ski and don't need a spotter (we don't use flags here) if you have factory installed mirrors. No mirrors means you need a spotter. No mention of how many can be on the tube.

Most states that require a spotter have driver and spotter. The flag only has to be displayed if you stop and/or rider falls off. It would not be probable to have a driver, flag holder and a spotter all on the pwc while you are pulling. In my state (MO) they no longer require the spotter to sit facing backwards due to safety issues. There is not a limit of 1 rider on a tube that I know of. As far as wearing out your motor, I am sure it will shorten the life of your ski by pulling that much weight with only 90 HP. My pulling ski has 215 HP and heavy riders pull it around. Its like driving down the road pulling a trailer too big for your car

+1
    Most states say you have to be able to put everyone on the tube on the ski. So a 3 person ski with no spotter can only pull a 2 person on the tube. If not suppose the tube comes apart or deflates then what do you do leave this group of people out in the water.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    Most states say you have to be able to put everyone on the tube on the ski. So a 3 person ski with no spotter can only pull a 2 person on the tube. If not suppose the tube comes apart or deflates then what do you do leave this group of people out in the water.
    Yep exactly...and if you are required to have a spotter then that's only one in the tube. As always with these things, check your local regs and laws before you end up learning the hard way.

+1
    And not a single person answered his question!....although everything said is true. I don't have a spark and can't tell you about mods but you should be able to run it as hard as you want without damage. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of the spark will answer your question.

10. +1 by:

+1
    you can tow as much as you like

+1
    The engine is not working harder. It is working the same for given RPM, the only difference is that the ski is going slower because of the tube drag. The water is still flowing with the same speed through the jet pump.
    I tow the tube with mine all the time.

FINALLY! Thank you eb87, for addressing my question. I pulled two people on a tube all weekend on my 3 up ( no spotter, gasp !) As long as I took off gradually, once I got going it was no problem, I actually had to keep from slinging them around on the turns. I just made sure I never jerked them when slack built up in the line so as not to put to much work on my spark. S turns through heavy chop was fine though. I did notice in sport mode all it wanted to do was jump out of the water, so I kept it in touring mode. These were college age kids. As for as all you law abiding citizens worried about my safety and law breaking way, thanks for your concern but we live on smaller like in a semi private cove where we always pull tubes with in sight of our house and floating dock. 4 yrs now one patrol boat on 4th of July. As far as the legality here, yes I can pull two people on my 3up with out a spotter as long as I have mirrors. I will have to post a sweet pic of my recycled BMX mirror I borrowed from the neighbor kids bike and strapped to the bicycle helmet I wear while driving. Seriously, I like the sight. The posts here are what convinced me to buy a spark. That cheezy salesman owes you guys all a big thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information