Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 2014 FX SVHO High Altitude IMPELLER

I just got a 2014 FX SVHO and I am only hitting 62 mph at a high altitude of 5500 ft. Really frustrated knowing that stock at sea level it hits 69-70mph. 13/20 is the stock prop, what kind of prop should I be getting to help me get some more speed at this height? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

+1
    Turbo Buddy Turbo. A turbo will make the same boost (Albeit slightly less efficiently) at altitude because the wastegate won't open until the desired boost level is reached. A Super charger is at the mercy of the wheel and how fast it spins. So at 0 altitude it hits say 10 PSI. At a mile up you are missing roughly 20% of the air we have here at Zero. A turbo can make that up especially at lower boost levels like 10-15 PSI so if you run a larger Turbo 15PSI even at a mile high is cake.

Keeping the stock Supercharger? Go BIGGER wheel, the good news is that it is all relative, everyone takes a hit up there.

Ahh....I think going turbo as your first mod is a bit overkill. To answer your question about the impeller....... you will need to go with a lower pitch. You may want to contact a PWC performance shop that has experience with performance watercraft at altitude. Try contacting Rick at Peak Powersports. They are located in Aurora Colorado. Rick has allot of experience setting up engines for high altitude performance. Also, you will want to do a Power Filter & remove the ribbon on the throttle body to get more air to the SC and engine. Don't do any SC impeller until you install a filter and ribbon delete. Honestly, do the filter & the ribbon delete first. See where you are in performance, then make a decision on the impeller.

4. +1 by:

I am not sure I would want to go with a Turbo at this point. No mods yet at all, and I have a 5 year warranty, which I don't want to void in any way...especially after some of the stuff I have heard happening to some of the SVHO's. It sounds like something I might do when the warranty is gone though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf View Post
    Ahh....I think going turbo as your first mod is a bit overkill. To answer your question about the impeller....... you will need to go with a lower pitch. You may want to contact a PWC performance shop that has experience with performance watercraft at altitude. Try contacting Rick at Peak Powersports. They are located in Aurora Colorado. Rick has allot of experience setting up engines for high altitude performance. Also, you will want to do a Power Filter & remove the ribbon on the throttle body to get more air to the SC and engine. Don't do any SC impeller until you install a filter and ribbon delete. Honestly, do the filter & the ribbon delete first. See where you are in performance, then make a decision on the impeller.
    bamf, I have heard about doing a lower pitch as well, but so far Solas Impellers say they don't have a lower pitch so I will have to talk with Rick at Peak and see what his suggestion is. I appreciate the lead. Any other manufactures of impellers that might have what I am looking for? I am still learning here, so be patient with me, but do you know if doing a Power filter and removing the ribbon on the throttle body will void the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by purplesign View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf View Post
    bamf, I have heard about doing a lower pitch as well, but so far Solas Impellers say they don't have a lower pitch so I will have to talk with Rick at Peak and see what his suggestion is. I appreciate the lead. Any other manufactures of impellers that might have what I am looking for? I am still learning here, so be patient with me, but do you know if doing a Power filter and removing the ribbon on the throttle body will void the warranty?
    Check with your local dealer on the warranty question. It can vary from dealer to dealer. However, the power filter & remove the throttle body ribbon are 'minor' modifications that will not stress out the engine. Most dealer would not void the warranty with doing the filter & ribbon delete. Ultimately it comes down to the root of the failure. If your jet pump bearings go south, then that should be covered under the warranty. But lets say you reflash the ECU, over rev the engine at very high RPM and float a valve/wreck the motor, then that's not on Yamaha & would not be covered under warranty. (due to the increased RPM of the reflashed ECU)

As far as the impeller, you might be able to re-pitch you stock impeller down a bit. I would hazard a guess take a couple degrees out of the trailing edge & see how it goes. Currently all aftermarket impellers are more aggressive than stock....which is the wrong direction for what you are trying to accomplish.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Check with Kevin @ http://www.wcporting.com/ He knows high altitude tuning.

10. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Riva stage 1 won't void warranty, you can buy it direct from yamaha.

12. +1 by:

+1
    The biggest issue here is the lost boost. Get the simple boltons, figure out what your boast is supposed to bend and then measure it via boost gauge. You get a bigger wheel to compensate for that loss you'll be back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Check with Kevin @ http://www.wcporting.com/ He knows high altitude tuning.
    Thank you, I will definitely give him a call.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information