RXDI cutting out after revving but will idle for 10 seconds!! help

Hi all, had my 2001 rxdi for around 4 months done around 20 hours on it in that time without missing a beat, until the weekend just gone. Ran perfect all day revving healthy to 6950rpm. Then cut out whilst giving it a bit flat out. though i'd just leant on dess key and it popped out but know she cut out alright.

Started straight up but then cut out again couple minutes late. left it to rest for 1 hour tried to start but no go.

got it out the water and started up then died after a few revs.

At home on trailer it will fire up and idle for a few seconds then die.

if I rev it, it will drop out and die straight away.

I have ordered a new fuel pump as the ski has done just over 200 hours, so is due a change any way.

battery is new and holds 12.4v, start up drops to 10.4v for a split second then back up to 12.7v and holds whilst running.

does this voltage sound good? as Ive read somewhere it should be 13.5ish volts running?

Oh also any special tools required to remove fuel pump/hoses??

thanks in advance guys and gals

+1
    When you start it and then stop it with the button, can you hear the rave valves cycle? Also try cranking it over with the spark plugs out and make sure you get a puff of gas out of each spark plug hole

What does the rave valves cycle sound like. I get two clicks when the engine stops. I'll try post a video.

Also get what sounds like two puffs of fuel from the injectors when engine turns off

+1
    Yeah that's the rave valves. Sounds like your air system is working. Do you have to pull the key to restart it?

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Yeah that's the rave valves. Sounds like your air system is working. Do you have to pull the key to restart it?
    No don't need to put key back on. Can just restart off of the button.

New fuel pump turned up yesterday. So will fit when I get chance. Any tips on fittings pump?

+1
    I haven't done a fuel pump in a while on them. Don't remember. Crank it with the spark plugs out make sure you get gas coming out of each cylinder

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I haven't done a fuel pump in a while on them. Don't remember. Crank it with the spark plugs out make sure you get gas coming out of each cylinder
    and make DAMM SURE the plugs caps are grounded ( there should be a set of letal posts to put the plug caps on when pulled) or you could end up looking like THIS GUY:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burned1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	362168

he pulled plugs on a di to check for spark since he was having a starting problem. turned out there was plenty of spark..and fuel to go along with it.

you want to take a number of precautions before replacing an intank fuel pump

1st, protect your home, do this work outside away from any building

2nd have a big ass fire bottle available

3rd best not to do this alone, have a helper around

when the pump is out you have an unexploded bomb in your hull. You want to cover the fuel tank as quickly as possible once the pump is out. cardboard works well

have some gloves, you will be handling raw fuel

there is no "good enough" when doing this work. do it perfectly ( or else)

don't use a match to check how much gas is in the tank ( this has to always be said, as for the last 100 years folks have been killing themselves by that tiny little brain fart)

you might get by with some new filters, have you actually checked the fuel pressure?

+1
    I always say a prayer before pumping a motor out that has been flooded from a leaky carb. And I have a hose nearby

have removed the fuel pump assembly from the tank. Also removed the filter from the bottom plate, but I cant get the bottom plate off of the fuel pump module to get at the pump itself!
    Have removed the rivets that hold the bottom plate to the module but it stuck on good and proper. Any tips on removing it??

Thread Information