Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Please help with rotted bunk pivot brackets?

All 4 bunk pivot brackets are rotted on my karavan trailer.. They are the brackets that get lagged into the wooden bunks from underneath. bunk wood is in good shape
    My plan is to support the weight of the bunk as close as I can on each side of the brackets with jacks.
    seems pretty straight forward but would love any suggestions on making the repair
    thanks

+1
    That sounds like a plan to support the weight and replace the brackets. Would like to see pics of the brackets?

+1
    Check out this thread. Explains exactly how you can do it with the ski on the trailer but in my honest opinion, pack up your tools, tow the ski to your nearest ramp in the afternoon, launch it and tie it off. Work on the trailer while it sits in the water. When you go to put the ski back on, leave the bolts for the pivot bracket slightly loose so when you put the ski back on it will adjust the angle that the bunks need and then tighten it up.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2485998

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post
    All 4 bunk pivot brackets are rotted on my karavan trailer.. They are the brackets that get lagged into the wooden bunks from underneath. bunk wood is in good shape

My plan is to support the weight of the bunk as close as I can on each side of the brackets with jacks...
    I agree with post 3, that floating the hull off is much better than trying to work under the hull.

Wood bunks tend to rot, often around where the lag bolts go. I would very carefully inspect the existing bunks for any signs of rot. To be safe you may want to replace the bunks anyways, just so you know you are starting with good wood that will last for years.

I have posted a method for lifting the hull above the bunks using a car floor jack, but that was intended for fine tuning bunk spacing adjustments, not for fully removing each bunk or removing the brackets with the hull weight right above.

Thread Information