Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Question Karavan's Sure Lube/EZ Lube System?

I got a 2012 Sea Doo Move trailer, which I believe is made by Karavan. I was going over it with a fine-tooth comb for an upcoming (long) trip and when I pulled the rubber grommet plugs, I expected to see a bearing buddy setup in there, but saw this instead:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sure-Lube.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	361807

I didn't see the little piston that you push on to check grease level in the hub; instead, I saw all this grease and no piston and instantly thought the clown who owned it previously pumped in too much and blew the seals (and sent the piston flying).

I did a little research and I believe this is the 'sure lube system' Karavan uses, correct?

I can dig the concept, but call me old-school for being afraid of pumping in enough grease " to change grease in the hubs in just minutes by pumping the old grease out using the new grease." lol

Tell me I won't blow the inner seals and I would sleep better the night before the upcoming trip.

Questions:

1.) So no piston/diaphragm to push to check grease levels, you simply pump it until you see the new grease passing the outer bearings/hub?

2.) What's a good GB/GC marine-friendly wheel bearing grease to use in this?

3.) I am not sure how much grease is needed to fill a hub, but could we just top it off periodically, then at the end of the season, use a different color grease to see when you 'flushed' all the old crap out? Their propaganda says, "You can change grease in your hub and bearings by rotating the hub slowly while putting grease in it until you can see new grease coming out."

4.) This sounds too good to be true. What's the catch?

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    I feel your pain! I have the same set up...
    clean and repack bearings after every season! Get rid of those metal dust caps and those rubber end caps as water gets in through those rubber caps.mBuy a set of the clear acutek bearing buddies. Tap them on with a rubber mallet. Fill the acutek bearing buddies with grease until grease comes out of the mini hole on the side of the acutek. Dont over fill
    i beliveve they are acutek 608

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    I feel your pain! I have the same set up...
    clean and repack bearings after every season! Get rid of those metal dust caps and those rubber end caps as water gets in through those rubber caps.mBuy a set of the clear acutek bearing buddies. Tap them on with a rubber mallet. Fill the acutek bearing buddies with grease until grease comes out of the mini hole on the side of the acutek. Dont over fill
    they are acutek 602 bearing caps

That is just a standard axel bearing. Jack up the axel and turn the wheel and feel for grinding. If they have not been replaced in awhile, it might be worth it to remove and replace. There is a cotter pin and a hex nut holding on the hub. Remove, replace, repack, ride...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I got a 2012 Sea Doo Move trailer, which I believe is made by Karavan. I was going over it with a fine-tooth comb for an upcoming (long) trip and when I pulled the rubber grommet plugs, I expected to see a bearing buddy setup in there, but saw this instead:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sure-Lube.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	361807

I didn't see the little piston that you push on to check grease level in the hub; instead, I saw all this grease and no piston and instantly thought the clown who owned it previously pumped in too much and blew the seals (and sent the piston flying).

I did a little research and I believe this is the 'sure lube system' Karavan uses, correct?

I can dig the concept, but call me old-school for being afraid of pumping in enough grease " to change grease in the hubs in just minutes by pumping the old grease out using the new grease." lol

Tell me I won't blow the inner seals and I would sleep better the night before the upcoming trip.

Questions:

1.) So no piston/diaphragm to push to check grease levels, you simply pump it until you see the new grease passing the outer bearings/hub?

2.) What's a good GB/GC marine-friendly wheel bearing grease to use in this?

3.) I am not sure how much grease is needed to fill a hub, but could we just top it off periodically, then at the end of the season, use a different color grease to see when you 'flushed' all the old crap out? Their propaganda says, "You can change grease in your hub and bearings by rotating the hub slowly while putting grease in it until you can see new grease coming out."

4.) This sounds too good to be true. What's the catch?
    A friend's Triton has the Sure Lube system. Works as described. There is a grease flow path through the bearings from the rear to the front. The center grease nipple feeds the fresh grease to the rear of the bearings. Typically you can see the color change as the old/dirty grease gets pushed out by the fresh.

It is somewhat messy as the old grease comes out, so be prepared to catch the grease and wipe up afterwards.

I would change the grease now and then add a bit more just prior to the trip.

I expect the axle manufacturer recommendation would be standard wheel bearring grease. I sometimes use waterproof marine bearing grease.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

A friend's Triton has the Sure Lube system. Works as described. There is a grease flow path through the bearings from the rear to the front. The center grease nipple feeds the fresh grease to the rear of the bearings. Typically you can see the color change as the old/dirty grease gets pushed out by the fresh.

It is somewhat messy as the old grease comes out, so be prepared to catch the grease and wipe up afterwards.

I would change the grease now and then add a bit more just prior to the trip.

I expect the axle manufacturer recommendation would be standard wheel bearring grease. I sometimes use waterproof marine bearing grease.
    Thanks for the info, sir. I was looking at Lucas Marine. as it uses the same base (lithium complex) but a contrasting color (blue), so I would know when I pushed out all the old crap.

I found a video showing someone evac'ing all the old grease out. I started laughing when hearing the power greasing pumping. Amazing.

+1
    The Sure Lube on the Triton just has the grease go out into the axle so no mess.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by superjetpilot View Post
    The Sure Lube on the Triton just has the grease go out into the axle so no mess.
    Good to know, thanks. I hope to add another ski in a couple of years and was looking at some 2-up Triton everyone seems to like. Good stuff.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superjetpilot View Post
    ... was looking at some 2-up Triton everyone seems to like...
    The old grease goes inside the hollow axle on the leaf spring Triton axles.

On the torsion axles the old grease drops out the back of the swing arms and onto the ground.

Personally I prefer the torsion axle Triton for the much nicer ride, and overall much quieter and smoother going over road bumps and rolling down the highway.

+1
    Wondering how the rubber in the torsion axle holds up to age, salt water over time?
    I to would like to upgrade to a torsion axle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information