Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2002 Polaris Virage low compression

Have an '02 Virage with around 110 hours on it. Bought it used from a friend in 2012 with 50 hours. Thing has been nothing but problems, but has always ran like a top once repairs were made. Seals, driveshaft, lnbf, fuel line, battery. A lot of replacement to worn out parts, but nothing major. Question is...last season I couldn't get it go over 30mph on day, kept bogging out on me. Problem continued, so I had a compression test ran and they said 50psi cyl 1 and 80psi cyl 2. I don't have the time or $ to diagnose this myself. Maybe selling as is, for parts, or may hold onto if you guys have any advice. Not sure what would all of a sudden cause this issue, ran strong. Red 2 stroke motor. Thanks in advance

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    lnbf? - like new boy friend?

Sounds like you have already diagnosed it. Those compression figures should be around 140psi or so. 50/80 is bad, very bad.
    You will need a top end rebuild kit. I'd suggest new pistons & rings, and top end gasket kit to start. You will have to pull the heads and have a look down inside to see if the cylinders are damaged too. Start there and we can guide your next move.

Good news is the 700 twin cylinders are pretty cheap to repair and parts are plentiful.

They quoted me $4k at surdyke in st.louis mo to fix it. I know there is no way there is that much of an issue. The thing was running like a champ then one day it just bogged down and wouldn't go over 30mph. I honestly thought it was the throttle cable because it had tons of play, wasn't a crisp pull like normal. I get it back Friday, may go ahead and do a compression test myself to confirm, but either way seems like nobody is willing to work on polaris pwc anymore!

+1
    Is it fuel injected or carburated.

What happen is your virage was running lean and eventually caused the Pistons to run with the wrong air fuel mixture( too much air not enough fuel). There are many causes to this if its a carbureted virage, such as a bad crank seal, clogged or gummed up fuel lines and carbs, parts in the carbs are worn and need to be rebuilt. If it had the original tempo grey fuel lines they MUST be replaced due to being defective from the factory, they eventually gum up on the metal fittings cause green corrosion which will clog your carbs and lines. If you have a leak on the motor it will suck in air which will lean out the mixture, this usually happens to a rebuilt engine that's not leak tested or to an old engine that has dry worn out gaskets.

If if its fuel injected most likely the fuel pressure regulator has fallen in the tank causing it to run lean or the emm is on its way out.

Its your call on if you want to sell it or rebuild. If its just the top end that needs work it would only cost about 200ish for both Pistons and top end gasket kit and depending on the shop the cost for boring and honing which is about 60-100 depending on the shop. Plus the cost of all new fuel lines and rebuilding the carbs.

5. +1 by:

It is carbed, fuel lines were replaced and carb rebuilt the day I bought it from my buddy. I had it diagnosed by a shop at the lake Of the ozarks and they did the initial work. Ran great, then started to leak...cause was a bent driveshaft and bad seal. Granted it was a 10 year old PWC with only 50hrs when I purchased it. I can understand seals and hoses going bad over time, but the motor?? I maintained it religiously since I bought it in 2012

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    If you can or don't mind turning a wrench you can fix it for less than 500 bucks Im sure.

+1
    Parts start to wear out over time, even if the carbs were tuned slightly too lean when they were rebuilt over time that can cause problems. You won't know the damage until you pull the heads off yourself. The 700s are very easy to work on and cheap to rebuild, imho if the hull is in great shape and you already did all those repairs, i would just spend the money and rebuild it. There dozens of threads on here on polaris pwc and some amazing guys that know everything about these machines.

if you think you can do the task but need help just ask and you will get detailed posts on how to do it

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    4k?

<<damm>>

that must be the one with the pistons signed by me and my BFFs Paris Hilton and Beyounce

what they are really saying is:

"take this thing someplace else cause we don't know what we're doing and you will pay for us to learn"

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Talk to Ozarkyammonster about his recent experience with that place. They put a base gasket on backwards flooded his motor and basically destroyed it....

Thanks for the help guys! I don't mind turning a wrench at all, work on most of my vehicles. I don't have the knowledge on the PWCs and don't want to dump a ton of money into it. The hull is in excellent condition as the rest of the ski. Always has been serviced each season. I'll try to find some links on pulling the heads!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information