Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2002 Polaris Freedom 700 - Water From Around Engine Head

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself as this is my first post. From Burlington Ontario and I purchased a used 2002 Polaris Freedom 700. I had it out for the first time couple weeks ago and there was water coming from around the thru hull bearing and I came across this website on how to fix it. I replaced it last week and noticed my drive shaft was kind of chewed up from the old bearing and I believe I need to get a new drive shaft as I took it old this weekend and to my surprise there was more water coming in than before and I used a lot of grease and keep greasing it.

This is when I took It out for a rip with the seat off and I noticed that there was water spraying very fine line of the grease nipple at a higher speed any thoughts !???

This is also when I noticed there was water slowly leaking from the front engine piston head around the spark plug and in a few spots around the red header and the black engine housing ? I had 5 hours of riding on it total and it seems to ride fine engine sounds great, compression doesn't seem to be a problem just a small leak. I did a search and can't find this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Appreciate and help !

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I would get a new drive shaft and new through hull. I would also get all new o rings for the head and water jacket. Start there....

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    I would get a new drive shaft and new through hull. I would also get all new o rings for the head and water jacket. Start there....
    I may have a spare Virage driveshaft here. Would have to check my parts stash.

Certainly I have through-hull bearings and rebuild kits for them.

k447 I sent you a PM!! ...

is there any good tutorials for the head and water jacket o ring replacement ??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOsta View Post
    k447 I sent you a PM!! ...

is there any good tutorials for the head and water jacket o ring replacement ??
    I will look tomorrow for the driveshaft.

I do not have a full set of cylinder head o-rings for that engine. I have a few used o-rings and maybe one new one here.

I do not know what size o-ring is used around the spark plug opening. Does someone know the generic size info for 5410917 O-Ring? Material?

I know the large inner head o-ring is a high temperature material.
    What generic size is it? (5410932 O-Ring)

Also the larger outer head o-ring (5410931), what size?

All these o-rings are also used on some models of Polaris snowmobile so should be available new from Polaris parts sources and authorized snowmobile dealers.

So I am not having too much luck with my ski.... Yesterday took it out on Lake Ontario and was getting some big jumps. I was doing my best not to rev the engine when in the air but it was usually too late. About an hour in of heavy riding the engine starting bogging down so I took it easy and started making my way back to the launch. It got bad quickly and the engine was bogging down at about 4000 rpm. The engine wouldn't rev past that so I took it easy going about 2500-3000 rpm and barely made it back to shore. I took the spark plugs out to see if there was any water in the heads and there was nothing. Motor started out of water no problem and sounded okay mad rev above 4K with no load. Any ideas ? I am ordering the top end seal kit to rebuild but what could of done this? It almost felt like fuel starvation or the carb got stuck In some funny setting after some big jumps?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOsta View Post
    So I am not having too much luck with my ski.... Yesterday took it out on Lake Ontario and was getting some big jumps. I was doing my best not to rev the engine when in the air but it was usually too late.

About an hour in of heavy riding the engine starting bogging down so I took it easy and started making my way back to the launch. It got bad quickly and the engine was bogging down at about 4000 rpm. The engine wouldn't rev past that so I took it easy going about 2500-3000 rpm and barely made it back to shore.

I took the spark plugs out to see if there was any water in the heads and there was nothing. Motor started out of water no problem and sounded okay mad rev above 4K with no load. Any ideas ?

I am ordering the top end seal kit to rebuild but what could of done this?
    It almost felt like fuel starvation or the carb got stuck In some funny setting after some big jumps?
    You are running real risks by using this machine with known problems.

The only thing that makes any older watercraft (of any brand) reliable is the time and effort you put into it up front to inspect, clean, repair, correct and verify that everything is actually working as it should.

Have you looked through the recommended maintenance items for your engine and related? Has the fuel system been serviced? New fuel filter, fuel selector valve, carb cleaning and internal rebuild? New fuel hoses? Fuel tank internally clean and no water? Fuel tank venting and vent check valves working?

New spark plugs?

Electrical box inspected, wires and cables, hoses all properly routed and tied out of trouble?

You have known issues with the driveshaft sealing, the cylinder head sealing. Further inspection may reveal other issues.

Being stranded out on the water can be scary. Depending on where and when it happens, it can also be dangerous. An engine failure or hull flooding can put you at risk, especially if the weather turns and other boaters are not at hand to provide assistance.

My recommendation is to not ride this machine until all the issues have been corrected and everything else has been checked, upgraded, rebuilt or whatever is necessary.

I wasn't out on the water on my own but with two more friends each on skis. After the first time I took it out did research right away to get the bearing replaced and I did but I think I need to do the driveshaft as well. I put in new plugs, new gel battery, had the carb cleaned by a mechanic he said it looked good inside, put in shell 91 gas in from day one im only on the second tank. I looked in the electrical box for sure everything looks good. I added an hour meeter etc...

I am not putting it back in the water until i replace the top end seals and o rings. I am thinking of buying this unless you have something for me? http://www.ebay.com/itm/281566120454...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also, were you able to find the drive shaft? I actually purchased one off ebay that I had to return because their description was wrong and it arrived too short. I am having trouble finding one.

Also I would replace the fuel filter if you have one?

+1
    If you are buying parts from the U.S. I would steer you towards John at www.watcon.com

He knows his stuff and only sells good quality parts.

I would prefer to buy something locally from Canada if I could but finding it hard to find parts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information