Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Guy (and his Wife) looking for options on skis

Hi all,

Great forum you have here! I have been doing a fair bit of research and I *think* this is the place to post this thread. First, a little back ground. We used to have two ski's 1 - 2000 Ultra 150 and a 2003 (I think) Polaris MSX 140. Mine was the Ultra and the wife's was the MSX. I like to have fun, spins, hard cornering, speed and the like. The wife she likes STABILITY. We are in Ohio we normally ride inland lakes, or the Ohio river. I would really like to head up to lake Erie with the new skis too but that will be on "calm" days unless I go alone. We will pull tubers from time to time as well but not all that often (so we need at least one three seater for sure).

So knowing what skis we are coming from (about 10 years ago now) I am thinking the RXP for me and either a GTI 155 to RXT for the wife. Technically the wife would NOT need a RXT but if I have to ride it or pull someone I think the RXT would be more fun than the GTI 155. We are thinking used as well, I am aware of the SC issues on the older Seadoos but I am very able to do any maintenance myself (used to build automotive racing engines for a living) so an older 05 or newer does not scare me. There are just so many choices with different years having different hulls and such. Makes for a LOT of research.

So I guess the question is am I on the right tract? I know that even the RXP won't be as "fun" or playful as the old Ultra but I am hoping the better ride makes up for it!

I am not set on seadoo either but so far this brand seems to fit our needs the best. We have Seadoo, Yamaha, Honda and Kawaski dealers (for part support) all within 20 minutes drive. The Yamaha's (sorry if that is a bad word in this section!) seems to be the VXR (I know no SC) and the VX 140 or HO for the wife. I think we would have to buy almost new skis (meaning much higher up front costs) in the "Y" brand though. man, I'm all over the place today...

Thank you for your time,

Chris
    Last edited by ccm399; 06-12-2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Edited the wifes ski. It was an MSX140 not hte 150

+1
    The P-X seems like it would fit your needs. For the wife , look into a Yamaha FX model or a Kawasaki Ultra(NA or 300/310)
    I would get her a ski that would keep up with yours. You will probably get tired of having to wait for her after WOT runs.

Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post
    The P-X seems like it would fit your needs. For the wife , look into a Yamaha FX model or a Kawasaki Ultra(NA or 300/310)
    I would get her a ski that would keep up with yours. You will probably get tired of having to wait for her after WOT runs.
    Well, if you really like the "playfulness" (spinning and such) you may enjoy the GTR215. It has a top speed of about 64 stock. The GTX is a bigger more stable option for the wife and I think it still comes in the 215hp. Both of these skis get great gas economy if that's of interest.

Now, the PX is just complete bad ass if that's what your looking for but it will not spin easily as its made for tight turn closed course racing. Most of us think its a blast and it goes about 69 stock after break-in. I still like the GTX for the wife but would stay around the 215hp. As DH300 stated, she will need to be able to keep up sometimes. Sometimes even those cruising rides will be at 55mph if the water is smooth. You don't want her on a ski that is topped out at 55 - 59.

Hope that helps..

The GTX still has a 155 option and would be by for the most stable.

For you it kinda comes down to playfulness or handling the GTR can handle decent but is based on the GTI which is all about play.

The PX is all about hooking up. I've heard if you adjust the sponsons to the free ride position it can be playful but I haven't tried it on mine yet. Will be doing so soon those once I get the right tool

+1
    Your wifes ski will be easy to choose, but yours might be a little trickier. I've had a couple RXP's "none with the current hull" and an Ultra 150. I can tell you both are fun, but the two are not similar. Since you like the playfullness of the ultra have you considered a Spark? It would not have the top speed of the ultra or any of the 215/260 ski's but it sounds like a blast to jump , spin etc.. If you need the speed you may want to look at the GTR as Tigerdoo suggested. I had one of those also, and it is more playful than my RXP. "they look great too "

+1
    all these responses have been great, my ol lady has a 14 gti 155 and she complains all the time that she cant keep up as most of the guys i ride with have 80+ mph skis but we cruise at 55ish and hers is floored trying to keep up. She loves the ski just wishes it had a tad more power. The rxpx is a blast to ride but as others have stated it handles like its on rails and is not as playful as the others will be.

Don't discount the GTI. We had one and it was stable, yet much more playful than the bigger hulls. My wife preferred it over the GTX SC.

+1
    I would buy to different brand skis. So you have something different. Maybe a RXP-X and a Yamaha VXR/s for the wife.

Wow thanks Guys!

So more digging to do.

The GTR had caught my attention too. I am really wondering on the hull types. I am not sure if the RXP in say '05-07 trim is as locked in as say a '14. When did they put the T3 hull on that ski? Going through the Seadoo history pages I can't seem to isolate that data. I could be blind mind you or maybe I am not looking back far enough.

So if we are looking at "around" '08 as a guideline year wise would the GTR still be preferred over the RXP? Hmm, maybe I should do more research before asking such a question.

The YouTube stuff I have seen of the RXP looks like it is pretty playful. Not as much as the Ultra but not knowing the rider I can't say for sure. I would agree it seems the idea of the RXP is locked in handling and nimbleness. Oh, and I hear ya on the concept of making sure the wife's ski can keep up. I know when we used to go to the Ohio river I was about 1/2 -2/3 throttle most of the time...

By the way I CAN'T let the wife read this thread... She will never let me hear the end of it for being the "hard one to please". Of course that's nothing new but having it in writing... ugh.

Thanks for all the comments!

Chris

I have thought about the Spark too. But honestly not sure about the hull material. I have not done a ton of research on the Spark yet though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information