Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Trying to help my son.....'07 Ultra 250X = nightmare

My son recently bought an extremely clean '07 250X w/72 hrs. on it for $6,000. (His first "big" without my help/opinion. Well, you know what happened. Ski ran fine when he tested it & put about 3 hrs. on it after he got it home. He said it slowed down to 32 mph at WOT when he headed to the ramp to leave the lake. He took it to a friend's Kawasaki dealership for service/diagnosis. Price to get it right is @ $4500. (That ain't gonna happen & I haven't talked to my friend that own the dealership for specifics) My question is: would he be better off to part it out or sell it as is and lick his wounds? Any and all help would be appreciated!

+1
    What was the diagnosis from the dealer per your son? It's very difficult to make suggestions without all the details.
    Last edited by Ski Hacks MG; 06-09-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    my guess is pump bearings went, crank walked, took out motor.

4. +1 by:

Owner is out right now. Will post when I find out complete details. Thanks!

+1
    pump was probably never updated to the newer double bearing setup, the pump bearings went out causing the driveshaft to walk back into the motor pushing the crank and taking out the motor.

I just talked with dealer/mechanic. They found #3 fuel injector was bad and the air intake was misaligned and was restricting airflow badly. (They figured that was the problem) They took it for an on-water test and it would run only 50 mph @ WOT and got slower as it warmed up. They bring it back to shop & start diagnosing again. Pump, supercharger, exhaust filter are all good. He's narrowed it down to either crank or rod bearings. There was a small amount of metal in oil filter. He cannot find a source for short blocks. (if there even is one) He priced out all the individual parts needed to rebuild it and Whoa! $4500 (including everything they've done already) Can anyone steer us in the right direction??

+1
    take it to another shop. the 07's dont have an exhaust filter. from what it sounds like the crank has moved causing the bearings to get trashed.... it would be a good idea to update the pump to the newer double bearing setup to prevent this from happening again.

and how do i know this? i have an 07 250x, had the same symptoms.... except my pump bearings went first, replaced them then about 3 weeks later motor went due to crank walking.

the air intake being misaligned is common.... you just pull the trumpet off on the end that sometimes sucks itself to the hull.

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Russ@R&R View Post
    I just talked with dealer/mechanic. They found #3 fuel injector was bad and the air intake was misaligned and was restricting airflow badly. (They figured that was the problem) They took it for an on-water test and it would run only 50 mph @ WOT and got slower as it warmed up. They bring it back to shop & start diagnosing again. Pump, supercharger, exhaust filter are all good. He's narrowed it down to either crank or rod bearings. There was a small amount of metal in oil filter. He cannot find a source for short blocks. (if there even is one) He priced out all the individual parts needed to rebuild it and Whoa! $4500 (including everything they've done already) Can anyone steer us in the right direction??
    Unfortunately, this sounds like the Pump Bearings went out. When that happens, it pushes the Driveshaft forward and essentially destroys the engine. The characteristics you are describing are exactly what I have been through (more than once).

It's time to part that Ski out. If they Hull is in good shape, there is some value there. The Seats, etc . . . there are people that need those parts. Sorry. JB

11. +1 by:

+1
    Sorry to hear about the ski. If you do decide to sell the Hull and are close to CA I might know someone that will want it. Kevin 1-408-691-6576

I may be wrong about exhaust filter, I had seen on here where exh. filters were mentioned as a problem on '07's. Can this motor be rebuilt at a reasonable cost/at all?? If so, who can do it?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information