Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    What to attack first? 1999 SLX

    So I took my recently purchased `99 SLX out for it's maiden voyage today. Prior I emptied all old gas including water separator. Put in a fresh tank with some Seafoam. Started up fine. Ran good for the 15-20 minutes with only and occasional hesitation. Idled fine the whole outing. But progressively got worse trying to jump up to RPM. First it was an occasional bog. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't get up and go anymore. It would always idle. And in fact if you let it idle for a bit then hit it, it would often run up as it should at least for a few seconds before bogging. Kind of tells me it's a bit clogged and idling allowed it to build up the gas it would need.

    So, I'm trying to decide what to attack first. It still has the original grey temp lines. And I can't seem to find the little inline fuel filter it's supposed to have in addition to the water separator filter.
    Last edited by K447; 06-09-2015 at 12:41 PM.


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,215
    +1
    1,720
    Well, the common recommendation would be to replace all the fuel hoses, the fuel selector valve, the o-rings in the water separator (if you have one).

    AND remove, disassemble, clean internally and rebuild the carburetors. Use genuine OEM carb rebuild kits.

    These engines really require the fuel system to be 100% good.

  3. #3
    Yep. Ok. Going to start with the lines and the pieces in the water separator. Got any recommendations on fastest reasonable vendor?

  4. #4
    Looks like this one would be acceptable fuel line. What do you think?

    http://www.amazon.com/Thermoid-Fuel-...rine+fuel+hose

  5. #5
    David Drkvampire2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Edgerton, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    2,875
    +1
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by diungerich View Post
    Yep. Ok. Going to start with the lines and the pieces in the water separator. Got any recommendations on fastest reasonable vendor?
    John Zigler Rock County Jetski, also owner of Watcon. will have everything you need.

  6. #6
    Connecticut CrazyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT.
    Posts
    8,254
    +1
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Well, the common recommendation would be to replace all the fuel hoses, the fuel selector valve, the o-rings in the water separator (if you have one).

    AND remove, disassemble, clean internally and rebuild the carburetors. Use genuine OEM carb rebuild kits.

    These engines really require the fuel system to be 100% good.
    100% +1. When it comes to the carbs, make sure to check the internal screens, needle valve arm height and needle valve tip condition. All simple to do and all VERY important.

    May any want to gas tank vents. (2 one way vents)



    Some pictures.

    Internal screen number 14 in diagram and real life picture.

    Needle led valve tip conditions.

    Setting needle valve arm height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	361766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	361765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	361767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	361764  

  7. #7
    MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    17,415
    +1
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by crazya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by k447 View Post
    well, the common recommendation would be to replace all the fuel hoses, the fuel selector valve, the o-rings in the water separator (if you have one).

    And remove, disassemble, clean internally and rebuild the carburetors. Use genuine oem carb rebuild kits.

    These engines really require the fuel system to be 100% good.
    100% +1. When it comes to the carbs, make sure to check the internal screens, needle valve arm height and needle valve tip condition. All simple to do and all very important.

    May any want to gas tank vents. (2 one way vents)



    some pictures.

    Internal screen number 14 in diagram and real life picture.

    Needle led valve tip conditions.

    Setting needle valve arm height.


    bingo dingo!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Connecticut CrazyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT.
    Posts
    8,254
    +1
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. Matrix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crazya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by k447 View Post
    well, the common recommendation would be to replace all the fuel hoses, the fuel selector valve, the o-rings in the water separator (if you have one).

    And remove, disassemble, clean internally and rebuild the carburetors. Use genuine oem carb rebuild kits.

    These engines really require the fuel system to be 100% good.
    100% +1. When it comes to the carbs, make sure to check the internal screens, needle valve arm height and needle valve tip condition. All simple to do and all very important.

    May any want to gas tank vents. (2 one way vents)



    some pictures.

    Internal screen number 14 in diagram and real life picture.

    Needle led valve tip conditions.

    Setting needle valve arm height.


    bingo dingo!!!!!!!!!!
    bet!!!! fact mother trucker!!!

  9. +1 by:


  10. #9
    Ok. Got with Watcon guys. Ordered fuel line, check valves, fuel switch valve, and carb rebuild kits. Hopefully this will be enough to make it run well. We'll see.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What to do first "07 speedster 200 430hp"
    By romanek in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-18-2018, 09:39 PM
  2. 1999 SLTX - Worried about CDI availability, what to do first?
    By RAD in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  3. New SL 750, what to do first?
    By Turbophein in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
  4. I just got a 2000 Polaris SLX watercraft. What to do first?
    By landmonster in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 03:07 PM
  5. What To Align First, Pump Shoe or Engine?
    By yellow4 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 07:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •