Powder Springs, Georgia USA jcat's Avatar
    +1

CHECK LIST for my daughter (Towing the PWC to the lake)

Your child has just asked you if he/she can take your PWC to the lake. You know that you have shared this experience with them numerous times, but you are still concerned that he/she might forget something.

In my case, I know that my daughter would appreciate a check list. It would give her peace of mind.

(She has already learned that driving a PWC recklessly will hurt. She got the breath knocked out of her once. Now she drives very carefully.)

What would you add to this "GETTING PREPARED" LIST ?

1 Take both seats off.
    2 In the Engine compartment check the Oil (black=change low=add)
    3 Remove rear compartment insert (holds the fire extinguisher)
    4 If there is a battery charger connected to the battery, remove it from the Wave-runner.
    5 Open front compartment
    6 There should be oars, ropes, and an anchor in front compartment
    7 Put 2 Yamaha life vests in front compartment and close it.
    8 Get plastic key from glove box and TEST start the machine. Do not run (dry) for more than 60 seconds. Is it running right ? (If unsure, call me.) Notice the gas level and any warnings. Shut off and stow key.
    9 Replace the rear compartment insert and install the seats.
    10 Make sure the rear transom drain plugs are screwed in.
    11 Make sure the rear hold down straps are installed and tight. Notice how they are installed for future reference.
    12 Back up towing vehicle to Wave-runner trailer.
    13 Make sure tongue lock is vertical, and lift tongue and place over ball hitch. (it must be a 2" ball)
    14 Push to trailer tongue lock into its horizontal position, and install trailer lock on the tongue. Make sure it is locked.
    15 Attach chains from the trailer to the towing vehicle.
    16 Plug the trailer wiring connector to the vehicle's connector.
    17 Screw the trailer jack all the way up, and rotate it to the horizontal position.
    18 Start the towing vehicle and test the turn signal and evening lights. Sometimes you must fiddle with the connection.
    19 Always do a walk around before towing a trailer. Even at travel stops like gas stations, boat launches and restaurants.
    look for problems . . . . . Air in tires ? Transom straps tight ? Lights working ? Etc. Do not ever skip this step.
    20 While driving, you MUST continually remind yourself that: It takes longer to stop . . . Your vehicle and trailer require a longer turning radius . . . . .that while backing up the trailer it moves in the same direction as the bottom of steering wheel. Always use your parking brake. It may be necessary to put the transmission into 1 or 2 or D depending on how the transmission is shifting.
    Bow - Front
    Stern - Rear
    Port - Left side
    Starboard - Right side
    Transom - Part of the Stern, the rear board or panel. The part of the Wave-runner that the motor and pump are attached to.
    Intake Grate - Sometimes paper, garbage, seaweed, etc. plug or block the intake grate. Familiarize yourself with where it is. If this happens, SHUT OFF MOTOR IMMEDIATELY. Do not panic. It does happen, and you must expect it. You will need to go under the Wave-runner and remove the blockage. If it is a ROPE, it may have wrapped around the propeller shaft. In this case you must remove the intake grate and cut it off. This has happened to me. AVOID RIDING OVER A ROPE !!
    If you suck up dirt or sand, SHUT THE MOTOR OFF IMMEDIATELY. Move the Wave-runner to a deeper location. Dirt will ruin the propeller. This is important if you intend to "beach" the machine. Always shut it off before beaching it, and move it to deeper water before starting it.
    State law prohibits riding after sundown.
    If you are anywhere NEAR a Wave-runner you must be wearing a life vest. (This mistake cost me $225 for a swim once)

+1
    I would add, make sure to Thank Dad for buying, insuring and maintaining the ski.

Anything that breaks, Dad will know about it.

I can't imagine having to go thru that yet. Good luck.

If she needs a list like that, then she shouldn't be taking the ski by herself. You should just have her do EVERYTHING when you go out together a few times. Once you see that she can do it all by herself with no assistance from you, then let her go. Both you and she will have confidence, and no checklist should be necessary.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    If she needs a list like that, then she shouldn't be taking the ski by herself. You should just have her do EVERYTHING when you go out together a few times. Once you see that she can do it all by herself with no assistance from you, then let her go. Both you and she will have confidence, and no checklist should be necessary.
    yea because pilots don't have a checklist Even the most seasoned rider can forget something simple a list helps someone that knows what to do to remember especially someone doing it for the first time that might be nervous.

My dad use to let me use the boat when I was 15-16 and it was some of the best times I had growing up!

Do you use a checklist every time you take your boat or jet ski out? If not, then neither should your kids.

My point is simply that you hold your kids to the same standard to which you hold yourself. If you use a checklist, then by all means make one for them. If you don't use a checklist, then don't make one for your kids simply as a crutch. Only let them take the toys out to play when you are confident they have the skills and judgment that you yourself possess.

Mistakes and accidents will happen, but if you taught your kids well, they will not be unrecoverable. It's all a part of growing up. Giving a kid a checklist if you don't use one yourself is just telling her, ”I don't have full faith and confidence you can do this on your own.”

My kid would be insulted. And if he asked for a checklist, I'd tell him he's not ready, and we'll talk again when he no longer feels he needs one.

+1
    How about a checklist for putting it in the water. Your list didn't seem to get to that part yet.

And for the record, I see nothing wrong with a checklist. Holds them accountable and gets them in good habits.

Good luck!

I'm not categorically opposed to checklists. But did you see the minutiae in the op's list? If you have to write down things like ”open front compartment... Close front compartment.... Back up to the trailer.... Attach the hitch... Attach the chains ”

If she doesn't know this basic stuff and needs it written down, she's not ready. However, a simple list with big ticket items is not a bad idea. For example:

1. Make sure your trailer is hooked up properly with lights checked before you go.

2. Check air in all your tires including the spare.

3. Disconnect trailer lights prior to launch. Don't forget to reconnect them later (see #1).

4. Start the ski in the parking lot prior to launch to make sure it works.

5. Don't forget the drain plugs!

6. Have fun, be safe, and you can always call me.

Everything else on the op's list was extraneous information that the daughter should already know from multiple previous excursions. It distracts from the important, easy-to-forget stuff. If she really needs a list that detailed, then she's not ready.

Defining bow and stern? Really? If daughter needs that written down, she had no business being on the water alone. Likewise with written directions on how to troubleshoot a fouled impeller. Is she really going to break out her checklist at that point?

Powder Springs, Georgia USA jcat's Avatar
    +1
    I appreciate all your comments.

She is a bright college educated girl.

Maybe it is a little over-kill.

Thanks for the replies.

- protective Daddy-

9. +1 by:

+1
    As a father of 5 daughters (yes 5)
    All of whom are very intelligent, but sometimes dingy lol... I totally understand.

Thread Information