+1

Winter screw up!

We bought a set of 99 GP1200s last year and I forgot skis need more winterizing - other than blow-out, fuel treatment and fogging (that's all my boat outboard needs). What to I need to check to see if I did more extensive damage to the motors? Any help appreciated!

+1
    When you say "blow out" what exactly do you mean? The main big things I do for winterizing are: #1 remove the hull plugs and rev the engine on the trailer for a few seconds to rid the hull, exhaust and cooling system of excess water. #2 I add fuel stabilizer to full fuel tanks. If the ski is carbureted, I use a dose and a half and run it until I'm sure the stabilizer gets into the carbs. #3 I fog the engine. #4 disconnect the battery and put it on a battery maintainer. #5 if stored outside, I at least install a factory cover. You can also purchase the shrink wrap they do boats with online. Other than that I just wash and detail it before it goes under the cover. When I uncover them, I give the skis a once over and lube and adjust things like powervalve couplers (RPM version), throttle and trim cables and any grease fittings on the skis or trailer. That's about all I do.

+1
    Thanks for the reply. I reved the engine when done in the fall but I have seen guys run automotive antifreeze through ski engines as part of the process. Is there a way that I can check to make sure the block did not crack somehow-like pressurizing a radiator on a car? We were just getting ready to put carb kits in both units and the one we started on started but idled pretty rough but we bought used and the idle seemed to be similar to last summer - they NEEDED new kits. Not sure if these things are suppose to idle "smooth" or not.

+1
    Thanks for the reply. I reved the engine when done in the fall but I have seen guys run automotive antifreeze through ski engines as part of the process. Is there a way that I can check to make sure the block did not crack somehow-like pressurizing a radiator on a car? We were just getting ready to put carb kits in both units and the one we started on started but idled pretty rough but we bought used and the idle seemed to be similar to last summer - they NEEDED new kits. Not sure if these things are suppose to idle "smooth" or not.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Put it on the hose and fire it up. You should be fine.
    Many people don't use an antifreeze in the lines (myself included). Ive never had an issue.

+1
    Thanks guys

Thread Information