Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Swap FICHT EMM to Aftermarket?

Has anyone successfully swapped out the Polaris FICHT EMM unit with an aftermarket option such as Megasquirt? Can this even be done? I was reading about a guy who did it with a 650 triple snowmobile, so I imagine the same concept applies.

Would like to hear some feedback on what other options for a tunable EFI controller/ECU that have been successfully installed on a domestic 1200 FI engine.

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Ficht fuel injection system is completely different from the typical automotive style fuel injection. The Ficht fuel injectors are actually high pressure ram fuel pumps that inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

I am unaware of any non-Ficht controller that can properly manage a Ficht engine.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The Ficht fuel injection system is completely different from the typical automotive style fuel injection. The Ficht fuel injectors are actually high pressure ram fuel pumps that inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

I am unaware of any non-Ficht controller that can properly manage a Ficht engine.
    If a standard port injection system were fitted using custom intake manifold, and the rest of the fuel system were reconfigured, do you see any reason why the megasquirt wouldn't work?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Im sure anything could be done......Or you could get a GP1300R

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    I really don't see a need to change from the FICHT system. It's actually pretty good. Low fuel consumption, and pretty good power. For the hassle and expense of adapting a standalone EFI system, you could just switch to carb and get your tuning abilities there. I'm not sure you will see enough of a change to justify the time and expense though. At least on a stock configuration, and good luck finding something worthwhile to add to the ski, like triple pipes.

Ficht won't adapt to triple pipes is the issue. I am working on stuffing a 1200 in my 785.

+1
    Change heads/domes, and change from throttle bodies to carbs. Might have to change the stator too, not sure.
    Will the 1200 DI even fit in there and allow the seat to go back on? The fuel injectors stick up pretty high.

We're going to find out. I don't think the ficht stuff will fit and was never really a consideration as I would replace it. I need a single head to join the cylinders anyway. Carbs are the backup plan. I have a whole 785 engine to cannibalize if needed and a machine shop in my basement.

+1
    I wish you luck with your endeavor, however I think you will eventually find that the cost and time associated with it are too great for the minimal gains. Keep us posted.

10. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    What are you using for pipes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information