Thread: New ski smoke

New ski smoke

Nwe to jet skiing bought a new ski 2015 vx cruiser started smoking 2nd time out. So I took it into dealer he said I fouled a plug it was at 7 hours he said you might as well do your 10 hour service I did he said the plug fouled because of the break in oil in ski. I took it out and on the second time it started smoking again not as much but still smoking not sure if I should be worried or not.

THANKS

+1
    First time maybe just a fluke. Check the oil level. Wouldn't hurt to pull the air filter and check if it's oil soaked.

+1
    I think that you should be worried that doesn't sound right to me

+1
    My 2012 VX Deluxe, same engine, went 100 hours before I changed plugs and they still looked like new. If the engine oil was to full, it can get into the air filter as mentioned but then if the oil was drawn into the engine, I would think all cylinders would get a lilttle. One fouled plug doesn't sound right to me either. Have the dealer do a compression check.

Sounds a whole lot like the oil was overfilled. Only time I've see a VX smoke was when the oil was overfilled. That would also account for the fouled plug. Check the level when it is hot. Some dealers will even overfill it on this ski not knowing better. As mentioned above, I'd also check the air filter for oil............that is where it ends up if it is overfilled.

+1
    As Eanest advised, check the oil after it is reasonably warmed up and have the ski level if on the trailer or floating in the water. There is a low and high mark on the dipstick. Don't fill it higher than half way between the two marks. If you do an oil change yourself, measure what you pump out and add the same amount.

You would think Yamaha would make the dip stick easier to read. I have a heck of a time seeing where the level is

Thread Information