Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Runability issues with two 1995 Polaris SLT 750

Need some help. I have two identical 1995 polaris sit 750's. sometimes they run great and others they don't. Last time I drove one I couldn't get it past an idle. Took them to mechanics twice and they ran good for them and other times we take em out and thy wont start. Fuel filters are clean. Could it be a brain issue? We're afraid to take em out for fear of being stranded in the middle of the lake. Could there be venting issues or something to hat effect? Just wondering if there is inherent problems to this make and model? Bought them two years ago. Mechanics said they couldn't find any issues. What would cause a hit and miss situation? WHen they are running they run like raped apes. Please advise. I work out of town and only back once a month and the weather is perfect.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Have a look at my signature links, especially the recommended maintenance items and common upgrades.

If these machines have not been gone through there may be multiple issues that need attention. The way to make these older watercraft reliable is to inspect, check, clean, and rebuild or replace the common wear items.

These machines really do require that the fuel system be 100% internally clean and in perfect working order. Old fuel hoses, aged fuel selector valve, weak fuel pump, clogged carburetors, etc are all common issues.

It is also common to unscrew the spark plug caps and trim back the high voltage wires about 1/4 or so, then rescrew the cap center pin into the cleanly cut wire end. The old wire ends can fray inside over time and reduce spark strength.

personally I sold off my Fuji engine models like the ones you have. The domestic engines are so much better. Fuji's you need to replace the whole fuel system and upgrade to a triple outlet pump so you won't burn a piston which is very common in the Fuji's. Also most of those engines have fuel restrictors in fuel line if you throw away or lose you have to try to make your own since you can't buy them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Have a look at my signature links, especially the recommended maintenance items and common upgrades.

If these machines have not been gone through there may be multiple issues that need attention. The way to make these older watercraft reliable is to inspect, check, clean, and rebuild or replace the common wear items.

These machines really do require that the fuel system be 100% internally clean and in perfect working order. Old fuel hoses, aged fuel selector valve, weak fuel pump, clogged carburetors, etc are all common issues.

It is also common to unscrew the spark plug caps and trim back the high voltage wires about 1/4 or so, then rescrew the cap center pin into the cleanly cut wire end. The old wire ends can fray inside over time and reduce spark strength.
    I figured there was a venting issue to be the culprit

Fuel lines easy to find? As well as the fuel selector valve?

Where is the fuel line restricter located? Does it look like a fuel filter? One machine has one and the other doesn't.

Thanks for the help by he wy.

Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Long john View Post
    I mean is the fuel selector valve part easy to find?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by howie099 View Post
    personally I sold off my Fuji engine models like the ones you have. The domestic engines are so much better. Fuji's you need to replace the whole fuel system and upgrade to a triple outlet pump so you won't burn a piston which is very common in the Fuji's. Also most of those engines have fuel restrictors in fuel line if you throw away or lose you have to try to make your own since you can't buy them anymore.
    So much better??? Na. Just bigger, louder and make more power.

You don't need to *replace* the whole fuel system. Rebuilding a set of carbs and rebuilding the stock triple pump that came on the 780 (or putting a triple pump on the 650/750) is easy to do. I prefer those easy fixes to chasing ignition troubles like failing CDIs and/or the commonly needed upgraded ignitions systems on the domestics. I've never had an ignition issue on a Fuji (if you don't count melting down the stator ground due to missing battery cover).

I love my Fuji 750! It's exactly what they recreated in the new Seadoo Spark (only with a 4-stroke).

Cheers!

+1
    Where is the fuel line restricter located? Does it look like a fuel filter? One machine has one and the other doesn't.
    It's INSIDE the return fuel hose... about 2 inches away from where the return fuel line connects to the carb. If you're lucky... there will be a small ziptie around the hose to indicate it's location. It's a small brass restrictor.

Regular 1/4" fuel line works fine... as you would get at the auto parts store. You don't need the more expensive fuel injection hose... just the regular stuff. Some folks like the added insurance of Marine grade fuel hose. Only exception to this would be if you're using it in the fuel tank. Regular fuel hose is not rated for continuous submersion in fuel.

Regarding fuel selector valves... there is a direct replacement Seadoo fuel selector valve that most folks use. Only issue it the knob points different ways for Off/Main/Res... so the sticker on the ski might be off.

Someone should chime in with the part number.

Cheers!
    Last edited by ripcuda; 06-08-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information