+1

Primer kit on XL760

Installed a primer kit on my 98 Xl760. Used the return line going back to gas tank for inlet side of primer.It doesn"t seem to be able to pull any fuel up to primer switch, And yes the lines are installed correctly. Pulled primer out of ski and stuck it into tank of gas....no problem pulling fuel up and out of primer. Why would I have no fuel going back from return line?

+1
    I have this issue too. We both followed the directions on the primer kit. It turns out you need to install the T on the reserve line. The return line ends as it enters the fuel tank. There is no gas at the top to suck. Reason you want to use the reserve line is that it introduces a little air leak and will cause the carb to run lean if you tap the main line. It shouldn't be an issue om the res line as it is only used in an emergency.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mtech View Post
    I have this issue too. We both followed the directions on the primer kit. It turns out you need to install the T on the reserve line. The return line ends as it enters the fuel tank. There is no gas at the top to suck. Reason you want to use the reserve line is that it introduces a little air leak and will cause the carb to run lean if you tap the main line. It shouldn't be an issue om the res line as it is only used in an emergency.
    100 % correct

+1
    You install it on the return line. You have to lengthen the line and make a loop for fuel to collect in. With the motor shut down, that line will empty into the tank. The loop prevents it.

+1
    ^^^Thats what I do. If the ski sits long enough where there isn't much fuel in the return line, I go back and forth between cranking engine, stop cranking - pump the primer, crank, then pump the primer. That'll help push and pull fuel into the carbs and fuel lines, it'll usually start on the second or third crank/start attempt.

Thread Information