Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

97 GTX 787 Wont Start/Crank - Bad Starter - On Vacation Help PLEASE :) ??

I took my 97 gtx sea doo 787 from storage in two years and it wont start. I put the key on the sea doo and hit the start button and I can hear the solenoid click & the starter sounds like its spinning as there is a loud hum until I let go of the start button but the motor dosnt shake or sound like its ever even trying to start. It sounds like 0 spark just a loud humming noise from the starter everywhere.

I replaced the battery with a brand new battery and same issue. Checked voltage on the brand new battery and its 12.5V. I removed the front fuse panel and no blown fuses.

I removed the coil area near the battery and bridged the post on the solenoid and it does the same thing. Starter makes a loud humming noise but no cranking of any kind. Sounds lifeless minus the humming noise. I do hear the noid click so it seems the noid is fine.

Is this just a bad starter? I am on vacation and leaving tomorrow, I started to remove the starter but I am having issues removing it with my lack of tools down here. I believe there are a couple more bolts I need to get off but its hard to see them with the way its mounted etc. I can dig into where the last bolts are to remove the last of the bolt but do you think its just a bad starter? Should i order a replacement starter from sbt? Or does it need to be sea doo brand? Can my stock starter be rebuilt?

I cant tow this home but I will be back in 2 weeks for 10 days for a family vacation & can replace the starter then. I plan to finish removing it tomorrow if I can. I just want to see if there is anything else I should check while I am here before I put all my faith into just replacing the the starter.

Thank you very much for all the help!

For the record before it was stored it ran fine for about 6-10 hours of use. The carbs were rebuilt back then, new oil in water pump. I checked all the lines, fittings and hoses and everything is snugged up. Installed new plugs and everything looks super clean. No signs of any rodents getting in etc. Also i removed the pump and am running 40:1 premix. The sea door was winterized properly before stored & I fogged the spark plug area to help lube her up before trying to start it today. Typically it might take a few seconds to start but the engine will crank and shake during that time. Right now the motor dosnt spark or move at all just a loud humming from the starter area with 0 other noises or motion.

+1
    With the spark plugs removed are you able to turn the pto counter clockwise for a full rotation by hand? If it won't rotate at that point next step is to pull the pump and try again.

Starter motor isn't going to get past stuck rings or a locked up pump, you might try and rotate the pto clockwise in case the starter bendix is locked up into the flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterluvr View Post
    With the spark plugs removed are you able to turn the pto counter clockwise for a full rotation by hand? If it won't rotate at that point next step is to pull the pump and try again.

Starter motor isn't going to get past stuck rings or a locked up pump, you might try and rotate the pto clockwise in case the starter bendix is locked up into the flywheel.

What at is the pto? The white circular disc you can spin by hand near the cover for the shaft? I can try tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. I think I know what your talking about. When the last engine was blown I could spin that by hand and hear the Pistons move up and down to rotate the engine assembly because the Pistons were trashed. I'll try with the plugs removed tomorrow and see how it goes.

If the pto spins freely in any direction is it correct to assume it's a bad starter?

+1
    I don't ever assume anything, it only takes a minute (literally) to check for voltage drops across the solenoid terminals and at the starter lug when cranking the engine. Sea Doo didn't use the best cables and they can develop all kinds of nasty resistance that rob voltage from your starter as they have gotten old.

Go ahead and bridge across the solenoid lugs to see if anything changes to rule that out as well, so long as you're not missing more than just over a volt to the starter from the battery pretty safe to say your starter needs some help provided the engine turns freely by hand.

I don't ever assume anything, it only takes a minute (literally) to check for voltage drops across the solenoid terminals and at the starter lug when cranking the engine. Sea Doo didn't use the best cables and they can develop all kinds of nasty resistance that rob voltage from your starter as they have gotten old.

Go ahead and bridge across the solenoid lugs to see if anything changes to rule that out as well, so long as you're not missing more than just over a volt to the starter from the battery pretty safe to say your starter needs some help provided the engine turns freely by hand.
    First off thank you so much for your time and help. I went ahead and removed the plugs and can turn the motor freely by hand in both directions. I reinstalled the plugs and tried to start and you can hear the starter spin or humm loud but nothing else. I can bridge the post on the solenoid post with s piece of wire and it clicks and does the same thing.

ill check voltage at the starter while cranking it just to check. Resting the battery was at 12.5

thanks

+1
    Starter isn't engaging, you can try and remove it, and most of the time you can spray it with wd40 or pb blaster. It's rusted the spring and Isn't popping out and engaging the flywheel. Also while its out hook it up and spin it on the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Kmorningstar_rxp View Post
    Starter isn't engaging, you can try and remove it, and most of the time you can spray it with wd40 or pb blaster. It's rusted the spring and Isn't popping out and engaging the flywheel. Also while its out hook it up and spin it on the bench

Thanks. I am only here today but gotta spend some time with the girlfriend so I wrapped up the sea doo until I return in s few weeks. I'm debating ordering a new starter or buying a starter rebuild kit. It's a 4 hour drive here so I really just want to do what ever takes the least amount of time so honestly most likely I will just replace the starter. If it was at my normal home I could take it off and rebuild it in no time but my tool arsenal is child's play down here. Minimal at best :/

ill bring a heap heap of tools with me when I return and most likely just replace it entirely.

+1
    You'll never regret a nice new starter to get you back on the water and for about $20.00 bucks a new rebuild kit get's you a spare on hand which obviously would have been a big help in your situation already.

I always use a bit of permatex black around the o-ring after running a scotch brite in the hole to clean up the mounting flange in case the o-ring doesn't seal properly.

You'll never regret a nice new starter to get you back on the water and for about $20.00 bucks a new rebuild kit get's you a spare on hand which obviously would have been a big help in your situation already.

I always use a bit of permatex black around the o-ring after running a scotch brite in the hole to clean up the mounting flange in case the o-ring doesn't seal properly.
    Thanks man. Really appreciate it. I'm gonna order a new starter and a rebuild kit to rebuild the old like you mentioned. I am also going to order a fuel sender unit so I can finally see how much fuel is in the tank without lifting the seats. The actual ski is in great condition so as long as I can keep up with maintenance I'd love to keep her alive as long as I can

+1
    I love your model ski, when we got the first ones in way back when I took one look at it and dubbed it "The Cadillac of jet ski's" and to this day I still own and ride a '97 GTX they are worth repowering when it's time for a second lease on life.

I took one in trade last week and felt like I won something, too busy to get to it this summer but I'm keeping that one for a personal ski to add a second one and it will get a new motor and pump over the winter, well worth the cost of rehabbing people around here rarely part company with one of them.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information