Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1996 Polaris SL780 No spark

I have a 1996 Polaris SL780 with no spark. I have tested all three plugs and they are all equally dead. Prior to quitting completely the ski was difficult to start, in that it would turn over but would not fire. Then after several minutes it would start, as if suddenly it went from no spark to spark. No misfires no hesitation. Literally like the motor was suddenly turned on. This happened several times. Once it started though it would run great. I have replaced the battery and tried starting the ski with the kill switch disconnected. No spark anywhere. Reading the forums leads me to believe it is the Stator or the CDI, but I am not finding a way to tell for sure. At least not to someone of my limited skill and tool set. If it is the stator I would appreciate a link showing me how to replace it. Other sites list this one as having the best info and pictures. Thank you for your time I will now impatiently wait for your kind assistance.

+1
    Welcome duckdrive!! Lots of good reading here: Http://PolarisPWCknowledge.shorturl.com

What type of battery are you using? It is preferred to use an AGM style as they tend to serve these skis the best.

The only way to be sure on the stator is to open up the electrical box, get out a multi meter and test the leads to compare to OEM specs. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98103

IF the stator tests OK, you will need to test the CDI box. The only way to do this is to install it in a known running ski and see if it works.

Where are you located? Please update your profile with your location and perhaps there is someone local to you that can help.....

I tested the leads, unfortunately I don't know what the numbers mean.The pulser coil reads 90 instead of 22. and the Exciter coil reads infinite/open/no connection. All the others read as they should.

I tested the leads, unfortunately I don't know what the numbers mean.The pulser coil reads 90 instead of 22. and the Exciter coil reads infinite/open/no connection. All the others read as they should.

+1
    If they don't match specs to within +/- 10%, then the stator should be replaced.
    Last edited by K447; 06-15-2015 at 10:51 AM.

thank you

Okay finally found time to work on changing the stator. I am down to the last 2 screws holding the plate on behind the stator and they will not budge. They have stripped a little but they weren't coming out anyway. Now what do I do?

+1
    Use an impact driver or an extraction bit, did you take the motor out of the hull? If not, will probably be easier to change the stator if you did

Quote Originally Posted by duckdrive View Post
    Okay finally found time to work on changing the stator. I am down to the last 2 screws holding the plate on behind the stator and they will not budge. They have stripped a little but they weren't coming out anyway. Now what do I do?

I didn't pull the motor and so far it hasn't been a problem. just these last 2 screws. I will have to give the extraction bit a try. Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by duckdrive View Post
    I didn't pull the motor and so far it hasn't been a problem. just these last 2 screws. I will have to give the extraction bit a try. Thanks.
    Impact driver usually does the trick. Not an impact wrench, a human hammer powered hand tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information