Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

New to the forum. Just picked up a 2001 XLT 1200.

Hey guys, I have been lurking for a couple years now and finally decided to join and make my first post.

My wife and I have been riding a pair of WaveRunner III 650's for the past 7 years. Love them, they certainly are not the fastest but they are fun and get us out on the water.

Last season I popped the second engine in the ski my wife normally rides, leading me to believe that I have to switch over to premix due to a faulty oil delivery system.

Anyway, instead of putting a new engine in that one right now I decided to go on the lookout for a bigger, faster machine. After combing the listings for a couple weeks I locked in on an 01 XLT1200 that was only about 20 miles away. Met with the guy and settled in a price. Needless to say I am pumped about doubling my speed and adding towing capabilities.

After researching it sounds like I need to do a few things to ensure this machines longevity. WaveEater clips, oil line clamps and a D plate.

The previous owner had the carbs rebuilt by a reputable local shop so they should be good to go. He decided to repair some small nicks and repaint the ski. I just bought a cover for it as I will be storing it outdoors with my other skis. I will be moving this one over to my tandem trailer with the working WR3. The busted ski will be relegated to the single trailer until I can get it fixed

I am in need of some suggestions on a few things I want to pick up for the XLT.

The vinyl needs to replaced at some point soon to match the new paint and there is a small tear on the 3rd seat. I have my eye on either the Blacktip or Hydroturf covers. Anyone have an opinion on a better way to go?

Previous owner ran Quicksilver oil in it. Any reason to switch?

I'll get some pics soon but the previous owner said the exhaust was replaced but wasn't sure what was changed. Is there any way to tell from the outside of the exhaust if a D plate has been put in? The temp sensor seems to be unplugged and laying in the hull. There is no false chip plugged in the wire.

Will it be obvious if the powervalve clips have been added by taking off the cover?

Any other insight on this ski is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Requin6; 06-06-2015 at 06:46 PM.

+1
    Congrats, the XLT is a great ski. Yes ASAP to the oil lines if they were not addressed when the carbs were rebuilt. A "reputable" shop would have known to address this while the carbs were out. Secondly, WE clips and D-plate ASAP. Blacktip seat covers are nice but I prefer Jet Trim. Your ski would look nice with an all black seat. Yes, if you remove one of the PV covers, you will be able to see a WE clip if you know what you are looking for. It takes 60 seconds and a 10mm socket to remove the center cover and have a peek. Quicksilver oil is fine but a bit on the high $ide. When we had our pair of XLT's, we just used Pennzoil for $14/gallon. Good luck.

+1
    Thanks man I will check out the jet trim covers. I think I am going to do a mostly black design with a little yellow and silver.

The previous owner removed the carbs himself and brought them into the shop so they would not be in the know about the oil lines. I will see if I can snap a pic in there to show you guys and see if they have been replaced.

+1
    I got the chance to snap some photos. Am I looking at anything that is not stock or out of the ordinary?

Where exactly do the oil lines fail usually? At the carb? At the pump?

Is that a stock exhaust?

Should that temp sensor be plugged into something?

Any insight is appreciated!

Oil lines go from the pump at the front of the engine to the carbs. Cant really see them. luckly i never had a line come off, but i checked and reziptied mine probally every 10hrs due to changing stuff on the ski. But i went premix just for the safety that you know you have the needed oil.

+1
    Thanks!

I had the ski out today on the Potomac River here in the MD/WVA area. I was pleased with how this thing performs! It definitely has a lot more grunt than my WaveRunner III's. I filled up with 93 octane before heading out and ran about a half tank of gas in about 2.5-3 hours of nearly full throttle riding with me and my wife on the ski. I was thinking I would have more gas left but I guess this thing is a hog. Speedo on the ski read 49-50 wide open with 2 people on it. (I know the gauge is nothing to go by.) I didn't get my phone out to try and get a GPS reading on it, maybe next time. Riding solo the gauge was 52-54. I was also playing around with the trim settings to try and get a feel for which rode best.

It definitely feels like a bigger, heavier ski even with 3x the power. The WR3's are a bit more agile. With the XLT I could be cruising at wide open throttle and steer in any direction and even sharp turns and it layed pretty flat. Very stable machine!

I am going to pop open the covers on the powervalves this week to make sure the 2 previous owners didn't already clips in. Does anyone know if you have to reseal the gaskets? I thought I read somewhere that they need to be 'regreased' before putting the covers back on.

Now that the shakedown ride is complete and it runs well I am ready to get some samples from Blacktip and Hydroturf for a new seat cover.

+1
    In this photo I can see a metal worm type hose clamp on what looks to be an oil line. Would there have been a ziptie there originally? Sorry visibility is not great in between the top of the motor and the carb area with the exhaust wrapping around there.

+1
    Had the XLT and WR3 out yesterday afternoon. Both skis ran well. Got the phone out and GPS speedo read top speed of 54 on the XLT and 37 for the WR3.

Just a shot of my tow setup. Spent the day Tuesday swapping the XLT over to my tandem trailer and adjusting the bunks and winch. Snapped a pic...

Waiting on color samples from Hydroturf for a new black/yellow/silver seat cover.

+1
    I got to tinkering around with the XLT and wanted to get an opinion on the temp sensor. As indicated in an above post the temp sensor wire is laying idle in the hull. I snapped a photo of the plug and there is a chip plugged in.

I'd rather not crack the exhaust open if I don't have to. Would this be a good indication that this machine has a D-Plate installed? Is there a reason to install just the chip without putting the plate in?

The chip is for the heat sensor in the exhaust. Must do if a d plate is installed. You've got the plastic cover over your stinger. Pop it off, the d plate will look like a thin "spacer". I'm betting its already installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information