Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

STX 1100 Cooling system order

Does anyone know the route the the cooling water takes?|

It obviously enters the exhaust manifold first,(and heads to stator cover, then to expansion chamber) but as there are water jackets between the exhaust manifold and the barrel, and from the exhaust manifold to the C pipe I'm a but unsure at the the direction of flow

The reason I ask is that I've installed a temp sender on the line that goes between the flush point (back of C manifold) and the head. I chose this location manily because it was convienient, but regardless of the direction of flow it will either measure the temp of the water coming out of the head, or coming out of the exhaust manifold, both of which could be useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0102.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	361241  

Anyone????
    The temp where the sensor is only rises to 44 C after a few minutes of WOT, usually around 38
    It's actually hotter 5 min after you shut the ski down than it is when you are flogging it hard

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STX11 View Post
    Anyone????
    The temp where the sensor is only rises to 44 C after a few minutes of WOT, usually around 38
    It's actually hotter 5 min after you shut the ski down than it is when you are flogging it hard
    Well, that would be expected. When cool water stops entering the system, it will heat up.

Have you never seen electric fans on automobiles? They can kick on minutes after the engine is shut off as heat builds up.

Why not just install it in the line that goes to the factory temp sensor?

yes I know all that steve, it is at its current location due to convenience at the moment. Not convinced the factory location is the best place. I dont know if the water that comes out of the pisser has been through the engine, or just the exhaust manifolds
    I was hoping someone knew the cooling system route, or had a set of exhaust maniufolds off the engine and a air compressor so they could work it out

+1
    Cool water comes in from the pump to the manifold. From there it passes into the cylinder water jackets and up into the head. It then exits the head through the hose going to the headpipe and then into the exhaust system where it finally passes through the hoses/waterbox and out the rear outlet. Water should be at the hottest point right at the headpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Cool water comes in from the pump to the manifold. From there it passes into the cylinder water jackets and up into the head. It then exits the head through the hose going to the headpipe and then into the exhaust system where it finally passes through the hoses/waterbox and out the rear outlet. Water should be at the hottest point right at the headpipe.
    Thanks for that, its pretty much what I suspected.
    However I'm a little bit stumped as there are water jackets between the inlet manifold and the C manifold (I guess this is the headpipe) and on the other end to the expansion chamber.
    44c/110F seem too cold coming out of the cylinder head

+1
    I think that is about right. Remember, these things don't have a thermostat like a car to keep the water inside the engine before letting it circulate. You get cold water in, it picks up heat then it's expelled. So you should be seeing cooler temps than what you are used to for a typical water cooled engine.

+1
    Yes, constant supply of cool water. Nothing like an automotive cooling system.

thanks for you input guys, I do agree with all that has been said
    I still would have thought after going through a exhaust manifold, a barrel and then a head the water would have got warmer than that, but obviously not
    It also begs the question why did Kawasaki use a 90 degree thermal switch to turn on the overheat warning
    If the water is almost boiling coming out the pisser, I'd imagine its too late

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STX11 View Post
    However I'm a little bit stumped as there are water jackets between the inlet manifold and the C manifold (I guess this is the headpipe) and on the other end to the expansion chamber.
    44c/110F seem too cold coming out of the cylinder head
    A cooling system is designed to remove a certain amount of BTUs per unit time. This results in a certain change in coolant temperature, say a 40. The outlet temp depends on the inlet temp, and will therefore be 40 above that temp. The cooler the water going in, the cooler the water coming out for any given power setting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information