Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2014 FZR Intermedate Shaft Grease Fitting

Where exactly is this fitting? Trying to find it to lube the shaft for 10Hr service.

OK found it.

Now how are you supposed to get a grease gun line on it?

On my 2014 FZR the main electrical box mounted on the rear bulk head above this grease fitting is in the way.

I'm thinking of removing the OEM straight grease fitting to install a 90* grease fitting to allow for easier service.

Anyone do this? What size grease fitting do I need?

The only metric fittings I can find are 8mm 1.0 thread pitch, is that the correct size?

Thanks for your comments and help.

+1
    If it's the same setup as the older skis it does not grease the bearing. The bearing is sealed. It just greases the mid shaft housing seal to stop water from coming it. You put to much in it will blow out the seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    If it's the same setup as the older skis it does not grease the bearing. The bearing is sealed. It just greases the mid shaft housing seal to stop water from coming it. You put to much in it will blow out the seal.
    What older skis are you taking about?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post

I'm thinking of removing the OEM straight grease fitting to install a 90* grease fitting to allow for easier service.
    Sounds like your fitting is located in the same place as the one on my VXS. It would also be my guess you're right on the 8mm 1.0 pitch. (I have some Japanese power equipment and Kubota tractor that all use 8mm 1.0 pitch zerks.)

That said, I just use a 90* fitting on the grease gun it'self. (Got a lot of zerks on the Kubota that require it anyway) $4 bucks at the parts store..

+1
    Awesome idea. Yes, the newer skies do not have the little hose running up to the flush kit anymore since they relocated the flush kit to the rear of the ski in 2012+

Now the grease fitting is right on the intermediate shaft housing, Julio...

+1
    Is there any way to check if it has been properly serviced or if it has the right amount of grease? what is the proper amount after 10 hr service?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPWC View Post
    Is there any way to check if it has been properly serviced or if it has the right amount of grease? what is the proper amount after 10 hr service?
    On my 2009 I use half a pump of grease every 40 hours and then use my fingers to squeeze the tube to help distribute it. Also, you'll want to grease the fitting with the engine running.... This helps prevent blowing out the seal.

+1
    No easy way to tell if it's been properly serviced. The manual for the VXS/R doesn't specify the volume of grease for the ten hour service or routine maintenance for that matter. I gleaned all I could from a couple knowledgeable guys and went with a 1/4 ounce pumped nice and slow for the ten hour, and six pumps every six months thereafter.

Edited to note that my hand held grease guns dispense approx 1 gram per pump. So 1/4 ounce would be seven pumps. And the six pumps every six months would be if the ski is seeing regular use.

It is also worthy of note that the way I understand it, the lips on the seal are designed and face as such, that if the grease is being pumped in a slow and reasonable manner, any excess will flow over and passed the lips rather than blowing the seal.
    Last edited by jmneill; 06-06-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    On my 2009 I use half a pump of grease every 40 hours and then use my fingers to squeeze the tube to help distribute it. Also, you'll want to grease the fitting with the engine running.... This helps prevent blowing out the seal.
    Engine running at idle?

Squeeze what tube??

Here is a parts diagram for a 2014 FZR what part # exactly are you referring too?

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemp...405/jet-unit-2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information