Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

High Rev, no thrust problem

Ok guys, so we have a 2014 Ace stock 60hp spark engine in a demo boat we have built. All has been good the past few months for testing. Boat sat for a couple of weeks and was shipped from Florida back to our shop in Wisconsin.

Put the boat in the water today and took it out in a private lake to try a new fuel tank we got. As always engine fired right up. Starting to move forward nothing seems out of the ordinary at a fast (no wake) speed. Once you get on the throttle a bit to get it up on plane the rpms kick way up as if its trying however you can feel a loss of power in thrust and she does not accelerate at all. Before we get into pulling things apart I wanted to hear from some of you as your theories.

(wear ring cracked or has been eaten up by saltwater?) stripped splines on the pto or impeller end? Anything else like that would be helpful in hopes we can save some time investigating. I know I have similar problems here in the past however am having trouble finding the search terms i need to reference those threads. thanks

I would definitely start be inspecting the wear ring.

+1
    So i went ahead and pulled the pump and wear ring hoping to find something wrong. I think I might have gotten lucky.

Wedged inside the impeller and the plastic wear ring is a small stick that must have been sucked up inside the pump and wedged itself inside the wear ring housing. It was on there enough that it came out as I pulled the pump off.

The inside of the wear ring looks pretty worn if you ask me. Not sure if it was worn prior (boat has about 2 hours on it max) or if the stick was wedged in and then it was worn. Either way do you think the combination of the wear and the stick would be enough to keep have the boat act like it did? ThoughtsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2483.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	361203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2482.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	361202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2481.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	361201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2480.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	361200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2479.JPG 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	361199

Attached are pics of the stick, wear ring as well as the pump with 2 hours saltwater time on it next to a another new pump.

+1
    couple more photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2488.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	361208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2487.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	361207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2486.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	361206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2485.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	361205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2484.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	361204  

Buy a new wear ring, if you ride in water with little debris floating around, I recommend a stainless steel one. Your impeller is pretty rusty aswell, it can be used but i would have bought a new one. Iike the solas 12/17

That wear ring is toast

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormacs View Post
    That wear ring is toast

I have a couple of extras in the rigging shop so I will throw one on tomorrow and hope that was the problem. I am thinking between the stick and the wear ring being worn that could be the issue.
    Last edited by jbryzek; 06-05-2015 at 07:31 PM.

+1
    Buy yourself a stainless steel wear ring problems be solved. Also spray a bit of Lanox on the prop when you install it. My prop has 41 hours salt water 90% of the time it looks like the new one in your pic. Lanox the trick to saltwater and rust.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaski View Post
    Buy yourself a stainless steel wear ring problems be solved. Also spray a bit of Lanox on the prop when you install it. My prop has 41 hours salt water 90% of the time it looks like the new one in your pic. Lanox the trick to saltwater and rust.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lanox. We use some other corrosion prohibitors but will give that one a try on the impellers in our boats.

+1
    Its funny how such a small piece of stuff can cause that, but true stick plastic bag rope been there done that at least spark pump is so easy to get out.

Other thing I noticed standard prop has 4 blades and the OEMs are three blades the other thing I notice is that the 4 blades seams to over lap more than the 3 blades.

As for the wear ring you just going to lose top end speed go stainless never wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by jbryzek View Post
    So i went ahead and pulled the pump and wear ring hoping to find something wrong. I think I might have gotten lucky.

Wedged inside the impeller and the plastic wear ring is a small stick that must have been sucked up inside the pump and wedged itself inside the wear ring housing. It was on there enough that it came out as I pulled the pump off.

The inside of the wear ring looks pretty worn if you ask me. Not sure if it was worn prior (boat has about 2 hours on it max) or if the stick was wedged in and then it was worn. Either way do you think the combination of the wear and the stick would be enough to keep have the boat act like it did? ThoughtsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2483.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	361203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2482.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	361202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2481.JPG 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	361201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2480.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	361200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2479.JPG 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	361199

Attached are pics of the stick, wear ring as well as the pump with 2 hours saltwater time on it next to a another new pump.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information