Not one but two hulls of a mess!

Hey guys, pretty new to the pwc scene but I gotta say it's some of the most fun! Picked up a zxi 1100 and an sxi pro 750 about january and rode the hell out of them. Gotta say standup > couch

ZXI 1100:

I'm having trouble with the hull of my zxi, it started out with a scraped up/delaminated patch of glass, I rode the ski and had great fun but I know I needed to fix the damage; I've fiberglassed a lot before but on canoes, paddle boats, and some bass boats but nothing that flexes as much as a ski hull. Come to find out that sombitchin hole is bigger than my fist before I hit good glass. I know that this repair needs to be glassed from the inside but I have no access. How can I get to the inside? The ski has an inner and outer hull, once I pull the engine and strip the ski down will the outer hull simply unbolt from the rest of the ski, is it glued? I can definitely patch the smc as I have west marine and plenty of glass/glassing tools but is getting to the inside of the outer hull possible?

Sxi pro 750:

This skis hull seems awesome, hand laid fiberglass hell yeah; but I'm having trouble with the upper half which is of course made of SMC. Having learned to ride it somewhat I've gotten to jumping it which the nose does not like, bunny hopping the nose 5 foot is rough on her. I've got cracks around the fuel fill, two major bi lateral cracks at the front of the engine compartment going to the pole; I've glassed the outside but I definitely want to reinforce the thing. What kind of work would it be to remove the upper half of the ski? I've pulled the fuel tank out with pieces of the exhaust and the flame arrestor but glassing the nose like this just seems so impractical when I can't even see what I'm doing under there.

I'd really like to do this right for both skis, I attempted a repair on the zxi which failed after 4 months while I was jumping some boat wake; the hole was smaller then so the failure didnt cause any problems but now the ski would very well sink if a repair failed

+1
    Welcome aboard, Beef!

What year is your 1100 ZXi?

I've take it to a fiberglass shop and get an estimate. A lot of repairs are not nearly as expensive as you might think--and it will look new. I've taken a couple of my boats in several times to have small dings fixed.

Thanks!

It's a 96, how much do you think an oval hole 6x4 would run? No idea what a shop around here might ask

+1
    Sounds like a relatively large hole. You'd really have to have a fiberglass shop look at it. If the engine has to be removed for access, you might save money by removing it yourself.

Beware that there was a recall on the '96 model ZXi 1100, which is why I asked the year. There should be a sort of triangular bowl-shaped patch on the front of the hull, below the tie-down eye. If not, contact your local dealer to see about getting it fixed or getting the parts. The air induction hull design made the hull unstable at high speed. You could be cruising along at full speed and suddenly it would just flip over. The patch was supposed to prevent this.

Before using it, I would highly suggest that you carefully inspect/replace the oil lines and secure them with stainless steel safety wire. The original hose would get brittle and crack, and the original spring clamps were not up to the task. Polyurethane hose is preferred.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Also on the hull repair....it needs to be completely dry.....like weeks out of the water....

The hull has the recall piece on it when I bought it, imagine cruising sub 60 speeds then SLAM lol. As for the oil lines i inspected them they're 3 years old (PO says he replaced) and appear to be in good shape no cracking or stiffness so I kept them but I did safety wire them; the stock clamps are pitiful for such an important part.

Yeah it's been weeks. aye she's a fun craft; the compartment on the top holds my drinks very well

+1
    Good! Many of the people posting here do not have the plate on the front. In '97 they redesigned the hull and eliminated the air induction design.

Thread Information