Question about towing ski across state to use

Hey guys, I live in Colorado, my ski is registered in Colorado also, but i want to make a trip to Nebraska, Lake McConaghy to be exact, I was wondering do i need to buy a separate license to use my ski in nebraska or does my colorado one work? Also i've seen people launching their ski on the beach side without a ramp, is there anything i need to be aware of doing this? anything i need to look out for so i'm not making an ass of myself?

thanks

+1
    You can ride you ski in any public waterway in the country as long as you have it legally registered in your state. Same goes for the trailer.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    You can ride you ski in any public waterway in the country as long as you have it legally registered in your state. Same goes for the trailer.

thanks alot for the info, do you know anything about launching the ski on the beach?

+1
    Sorry never been to any lakes in Nebraska. However I have launched from the beach at other places. Walk the place you are thinking about launching from. In case it is soft or has a drop off. If there is no one else launching from the beach and they are all launching from a ramp probably for good reason. Ask someone when you get there is also good. If you are not a 4x4 then you really need to be careful of how much slope or how soft the surface is at the water. Remember when you back up to launch may go fine but pulling it out could get you in trouble a big difference when pulling out.

+1
    If there's a launch ramp available I would always go with that. I have an Xterra but it's not 4WD so I am always paranoid of getting stuck if I try to shore launch. If you are going to go the way of shore launching I would say it's probably best to be familiar with what exactly is under the water where you will be backing into. It would suck to back in and find out there's a drop off or something 5-10 feet back. My brother does shore launching and he always says you want it compacted as much as possible like packed sand and/or gravel and never soft mud/silt.
    Last edited by Q in Arizona; 06-04-2015 at 03:19 PM.

thanks for all the input guys, I have a ram 1500 its a 4x4.

Would appreciate anymore input from anyone that has launched in nebraska or sand

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    Sorry never been to any lakes in Nebraska. However I have launched from the beach at other places. Walk the place you are thinking about launching from. In case it is soft or has a drop off. If there is no one else launching from the beach and they are all launching from a ramp probably for good reason. Ask someone when you get there is also good. If you are not a 4x4 then you really need to be careful of how much slope or how soft the surface is at the water. Remember when you back up to launch may go fine but pulling it out could get you in trouble a big difference when pulling out.
    lol...beat me to it while I was typing out pretty much the same thing you said...always good to have multiple posters say the same thing when answering questions.

+1
    It is amazing how Great Minds think alike.

+1
    I launch from a sandy beach all summer long. I use my Silverado. Walk out into the area you're going to launch and make sure there's no big rocks or logs that are going to ruin your day. I like to completely unstrap my skis on the shore, and then I have my wife or someone else in the water to catch. I always have it in 4 wheel drive when I go into the water. I back in deep enough that the skis just float off, not always possible though. Then just pull out slowly. The biggest mistake I've seen people make, and I see it at least a half dozen times a summer, is guys gunning it after the skis are off. The tires start to spin in the sand and it's all downhill from there. I'm extra cautious on days when there's been a lot of wind\waves. Where I am it stirs the sand up and makes it even softer to drive on.

Thread Information