Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2002 virage txi

+1

2002 virage txi

After browsing the local classifieds for a while I came across a virage. He was asking 2000 with the trailer. I talked him down to 1200. The pwc is in great shape, the only problem is the cylinders are getting no fuel. I checked the battery voltage while cranking its above 10.8 and the compression in all 3 cylinders are 125psi. There is not much gas in the tank it shows 2 bars on the mfi. When I bought it today the guy said it ran great last season but he couldn't get it started this year so he's getting rid of it.

Where do I go from here. I'm familiar with the carb polaris pwc but new to the fuel injected ones, I wanna learn as much as I can.

When I pour some fuel into the cylinders or down the intake, it runs for a few seconds then shuts off. I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator fell in the tank or maybe the fuel pump is in need of replacement. Will no fuel pressure cause no starting?

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Fuel pressure regulator falling off would still allow the ski to start, just not run well.

Look in the knowledge base for the DI skis and read up, lots to learn there.

IIRC the battery needs to be above 11.6v when cranking. A battery at 10.x is pretty much considered dead, and i'm honestly surprised it cranks over. It's paramount that the DI skis have a very good battery, a high quality Deka AGM battery will run you around $80 or so. You can get one from Autozone.
    Start there and see what you get. Many times batteries die over winter storage, and you just saved $800. Spend 10% and get the battery

+1
    I'll buy one today and I'll let you know how it goes. On the mfd it was showing 10.9 volts while cranking. This battery working fine with my sl700.

I thought all polaris must have over 10.8 volts while crancking to start, I couldn't find any info on what the fuel injected engines must have to start.

+1
    The DI skis absolutely require a fresh battery. Other things to consider are the correct plugs. You MUST use NGK, no substitutes. Also it would behoove you purchase a spare throttle position sensor. Buy a new one, not a used one. They go bad, and there is no real way to test them. Odd behavior has been linked to faulty TPS's and having one handy will save you in the long run. It's not IF it fails, it's WHEN.

Aside from that, just cross your fingers that the EMM is good. If that goes bad you are looking at $400 minimum to fix or replace.

Not trying to scare you, just lay down the fact here. These are fun skis, you just have to know how to work on them when problems arise.

+1
    Thanks man for the info. I was reading up about them for hours last night haha and lots track of time. I heard the emm will go bad eventually and much more info. I'm ready to tackle this project now, I'm buying new plugs and a fresh agm battery fully charged and go from there. I bought this as a project I really only paid like 400 bucks for the pwc the trailer is a 2013 model and its MINT. So I'm expecting to spend money on this one.

Ill keep this post updated as I go on

+1
    Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!
    If you wind up with EMM troubles I have an EMM and matching injectors for sale. Hopefully though it's just a battery issue.

Oh one other thing, there is a circuit breaker on top of the battery. One is for the fuel pump, and I think the other is for either the bilge or MFI. Make sure the white buttons are not popped up.

+1
    When I took a quick over one of the buttons was popped up but I never checked to see if it kept tripping when I tired to start lt. I'm assuming a bad ground can cause that or if you got any idea of what else could Lemme know, my guess is it's something with the fuel but I gotta do one step at a time xD battery and plugs first

+1
    The circuit breakers have been known to just fail. Good news is they are cheap and easy to replace. If it keeps tripping, I would replace it at $5 or so. If it still trips, you may have a bad fuel pump.

+1
    Ikay so here's where I'm at. New battery and plugs the battery is fully charged and had more than enough voltage, same problem no start. Now I checked to see if it is getting fuel and when I crank the engine with the Schroeder valve (I think that's how to spell it) pushed in fuel comes out. Now I checked the voltage on the injectors when cranking unplugging one at a time. Both pto and centre have 9 volts, while the mag have 21 volts. When I unplug the mag fuel injector wires the engine starts for a brief second then shuts down. It only happens when the mag injector harness is removed.

What do you think this could be?

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Its either a stator issue or EMM issue. You need to leave all injectors plugged in when testing. I back probe the white/red wire of the diagnostic connector. You can do the stator tests to see if the coils are putting out the correct voltages. My bet would say you have an EMM problem.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information