08 Challenger Carbon Seal and more

long story short, I am replacing my impeller, wear ring, and driveline seals on my challenger. I had a minor leak at the carbon seal, then I hit a sandbar while moving at a pretty good clip. I think I pulled in a shell or something and got just enough wear to have some cavitation. So now I'm replacing the normal stuff. While I am at it, the Sc'er is being rebuilt locally. Hope and pray all goes back together as easily as it came apart. I need tips on removing the driveline seals. I have the full rebuild parts in hand, I've just not started to pull the shaft. I am concerned that once I cut the clamps off the seals down there, there is no going back if I run into trouble. The Sc'er is off, interference is removed at the rear of the engine, pump still in place, and I think I get the gist of the job. Any tips?

+1
    Pull back on the rubber accordion boot with the silver top hat to expose the C clip. Pop that off and now you can pull the drive shaft out. If you are replacing the bearings and oil seal where the shaft goes in the engine that is easy too. Pop the clips off and pop the new one on. The trouble comes when re-installing the driveshaft since the bearing is floating, you have to make sure the shaft is seated correctly and the boot holding the bearing is not pushed inward. There are some good pictures in the manual for this. The driveshaft has a groove that needs to be correctly seated.

Ok, sound great. I am going to try the "socket in the impeller" trick to hold the shaft forward before pushing the boot back. On my sportster 15, the hat was fused to the shaft from saltwater, my hope is that will not be the case here. I got the pump together today and got the sc'er back as well. The sc'er was factory with steel washers but with 65 hours and 6 years on the clock, I figured I was taking a risk by not rebuilding now. My only disappointment is that the new impeller is rubbing just a touch at one point in the rotation. I'm sure it will self correct at start up. I am taking this slow and easy so I only have to do it once. Thanks for the tip, I'll post how things go.

+1
    Yea it will wear into the wear ring and be ok. Is it a plastic pump? Most are warped and rub a bit. My hat was stuck on the shaft and had to be cut off. Big PITA!!

Thread Information