swaping slt 750 for slt780

Can someone please help me! I have a 95 polaris slt750 . i purchased a 95 polaris slt780 engine and need to know what modifications i need to do in order for this to work or will it not work at al? any input is greatly appreciated

+1
    I think for the most part it should just move on over. Same years and all. I don't see why not. It's still a 700 Fuji block. You can always check dimensions with a service manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Octoarms View Post
    I think for the most part it should just move on over. Same years and all. I don't see why not. It's still a 700 Fuji block. You can always check dimensions with a service manual.
    Carb's are Mikuni SBN 38's on both, but the jetting is different. Also, the 780 carb rack is set up for a 3-oulet fuel pump.
    780 had reed spacers between the intake manifold and reed cages.
    Exhaust manifold bolt orientation is different so you'll need the 780 unit.
    Exhaust pipe is the same.
    bed plates are the same.
    Oil pump on a 780 is variable rate oiling. There is a rod that attaches to the throttle linkage and adjusts oil flow based on throttle position.
    Ignition should be the same but I think the 780 possibly used a different CDI for higher rev limiter.

That's about all I can think of.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slmullen67 View Post
    Can someone please help me! I have a 95 polaris slt750 . i purchased a 95 polaris slt780 engine and need to know what modifications i need to do in order for this to work or will it not work at al? any input is greatly appreciated
    Hi slmullen! The SLT780 wasn't made until 1996, so you likely have either a 96 or 97 model year engine. While the engine itself is fairly similar to your 95 750 model, some of the differences were pointed out in the responses above. Some of them, however, will need to be visually verified.

The SLT 780 should have a split bed plate, not a continuous blue one, if it has a bed plate at all. The 96 and 97 Model year hulls were set up to accommodate the new domestic motor mount patterns, so the bed plate was revised. If it does have the split bed plates, no worries, you can simply remove the continuous one from your 750 motor and install it on the 780 motor.

The electronics will swap out between the two. The 780 CDI has two distinct differences from the 750 CDI. The timing is a little more advanced, and there is a "trouble" rev limiter that will slow the motor down if you are low on oil, fuel, or if the motor is running hot.

As mentioned, you will need to source a 780 exhaust manifold if the motor does not have one with it. The bolt pattern is 180 degree offset from the 750. The balance of the exhaust system can remain.

The bracket that bolts to the rear left (rear Port side) motor mount that holds the exhaust pipe will need to be modified, or you will need to source one from a 780. The pipe sits further away from the motor than on a 750.

If the 780 motor came with carbs, re-use them, with the recommended OEM rebuild kits. The stock 780 uses 110 high jets vs 90 on the 750. Either way, you will want to open the carbs and verify the jetting you have installed.

You will want to get an OEM 780 pentagon shaped fuel pump to replace whatever you have for the 750.

Lastly, check out this thread for a good writeup on what is involved....http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193805

Thread Information