Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

2003 Virage i, My ski needs work, something simple, I can feel it

Hey everyone, this is my first post. Let me start by saying that I love this website! This site gave me the confidence to buy this ski and now I just need to confirm what I think is going on.

okay, so I bought the ski from an owner that seemed somewhat negligent. I won't get into details because his loss was my gain but the ski is a 2003 Polaris Virage I. This has the ficht 800 di motor and from what I have seen it does a fantastic job. I bought the ski with 39.9 hours. Compression test was good, gas was horribly bad. Pumped out all the gas. Put in a can of seafoam and filled up with premium. I verified the oil injection pump was running and delivering the correct amount of oil 9ml in 2 minutes with 3050rpm using the drill press method seen on this site. Emptied and refilled the oil rez with full synthetic gold. Tested solenoid voltage, good, tested fuel pressure, good, tested spark, good. Cleaned the air filter, greased the shaft.
    Cleaned the plugs and she fires up for a second and dies. Again and again with just a fraction more life than before I crank. Never need to crank more than 2-3 seconds for the motor to fire up and with some throttle play (10 minutes) she will eventually idle If you hold the throttle in 2-3 mm.
    If I have the vessel in the lake I can begin to really lay into the throttle and eventually (<5more minutes) it warms up and throws down good power. It skips and misses for the first ten minutes or so and then seems to be almost flawless. I can hit ~55mph turn and maneuver wonderfully and I love this thing. I turned it off several times for extended swims of less than 10 minutes and it started right up, no issues, delivering full power right away, idling good, a bit vibrational but good.
    ski was ran for ~1.5 hours and then parked, flushed for 5 minutes and the seat left cracked over night to prevent condensation from forming

That was yesterday, today I took the ski out again, since I worked out the starting issues the day before I brought along my brother in law. -a resourceful car mechanic
    BTW, I am an electrician, I say this so you know I have good electrical testing knowledge.
    It gives us the same shit as the day before!!!
    After 20 minutes of cranking and goosing the throttle we get it to idle after more playing around we are cruzing problem free. We nearly ran out the entire tank of fuel. I threw him off several times it has great power delivery and throttle response. Again we turned it off and restarted several times with no issues. I will say, today, it seemed to be hesitating a bit here and there. Sort of acting like plugs were fouled out.
    i did not check the plugs tonight but will report tomorrow

so, what do you guys think?

i ordered a new tps, version 2202740
    i have new plugs to install tomorrow and I plan to refill with regular 87 instead of 93 this time
    i will report on the new gas fill and plug change tomorrowbut would love any feedback.
    Last edited by K447; 06-12-2015 at 08:22 AM.

+1
    EMM Perhaps. Very common for it to need repair.

+1
    EMM. Same thing happened to my 02 Virage I. I have a vid on youtube of it as well as a thread on here for changing out the c89 capacitor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjdriver View Post
    EMM. Same thing happened to my 02 Virage I. I have a vid on youtube of it as well as a thread on here for changing out the c89 capacitor.
    Any chance you would share a link to your repair thread and YouTube channel?
    I would love to attempt this repair myself.

+1
    So, i promised i would update and i want to be an active, responsible member.
    I read your entire thread and decided to take on the project.
    I checked the plugs today and they looked really good. Nice and clean.
    I went ahead and reinstalled a new set of plugs but after reading your thread I now watched the Tach while cranking and sure enough it was jumping around.
    So, i ordered the capacitor here:
    http://www.ntepartsdirect.com/ENG/PRODUCT/VHT10000M6.3
    And i called this company here:
    http://dalchem.com.au/silastomer-p35.html
    And talked them into shipping me a 1kg kit, I love the look of the clear product and I cant find anything quite like it that isn't acetic based. If anyone knows of a good clear soft silicone meant for electronic encapsulation available to America please let me know. I hope to have this Cap. soldered and wet tested this weekend, and encapsulated by next Wednesday if all goes well.

I already got the EMM apart and i gotta say the OEM red gel is nothing to underestimate.
    I plan to re-heat sync all the transistors.
    Any notes on upgrading any of these components before encapsulation? "Stage 1" ?

+1
    I'm glad you found the thread useful. A few members put some great info in the thread. I hope you have good luck working on the EMM and the cap is the only problem you have. Just remember, I'm not a pro and I can't guarantee this will fix your problem. There have been lots of different problems with EMMs over the years that didn't involve the cap.

We def need to keep the link to the silicone on hand. Several members have asked about a good potting material and that looks like it will work perfect. Please post your results (with pics) so others can benefit also.

Feel free to pm me with any questions while you have.

Good luck!!!!

+1
    And I would stick with the 93 octane fuel at least my skis seam to run better and another thing u might want to think about is the fuel filter on the bottom of your sending unit might be getting plugged up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ben01251979 View Post
    And I would stick with the 93 octane fuel at least my skis seam to run better and another thing u might want to think about is the fuel filter on the bottom of your sending unit might be getting plugged up
    okay well, heres the deal, i got it all back together without gel and gave it a try she fired right up and reved like a champ. After gelling the emm it now does not work. I would say this was a good attempt except now that i have tried to fix it myself no professional company wants to touch it. In short i would leave this repair to the profesinals the first time. If you dont fix it your basically F-ed in the A and its nobody fault but yours. So, now i am attempting to find a replacement EMM with matching injectors.

SUCKS!!!

And all because i wanted to save 300 now i am spending the original 100 for the DIY repair. ~800 on a used EMM with injectors which could be a crpa shoot and still require a 450-600 EMM repair.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

+1
    http://fichtemmrepair.com/
    is willing to take on the job, i plan to pack this thing up and ship it off tomorrow unless there is some reason that company should be avoided.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information