Getting back in the game w/my 2001 GPR1200

Hello all I'm getting back into Jet skiing after a long pause in 2005 to now 2015. It's a long story but now that my dogs r gone I have the time. RIP Xena, Babyredd, Gabbie. All lived a short life 2 died of cancer, Gabbie of injesting a leather glove couldn't pass it, spent 4K but she didn't make it. Pitbulls by the way. It was a devastating 2014.
    Now about my ski it only has 30 hours I need to drain the gas and get it up and running. Last time it was started it was in 2012 took it out to the water (lake). By the way my wife rides an 1997 1100 ZXI it has very low hours. At the moment I will be getting her a new Kawasaki 310LX so she doesn't get left to far behind. Don't know much about jet skis but I am a mechanic I work on the new turbo VW's service and repair them when not working my regular job at the chemical plant.

I plan on getting my ski up and running and getting a base line speed (MPH) number. Then the mods will start, been searching the boards for info, already ordered the
    Wave eater clips
    I came across Osidebills post on the carb jetting RIP Bill, ordered all the correct jets and springs needed from his post
    T-adjusters
    Jet works exhaust valve
    Riva intake grate
    Riva trim tabs
    Riva ride plate...Should I send it to jims performance so he can do his mod???
    Riva solas 13/20 SB prop.
    R&D prop cone
    D-plate & chip
    Riva flame arrestors
    Free Flow exhaust tube
    Already had the pump kit installed right after I bought it
    Im pretty sure that's about it.
    Looking for the Riva heads with girdle supports and maybe the riva stinger.
    Also looking for the Riva sponsons
    Last edited by Houston GPR; 06-02-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston GPR View Post
    I need to drain the gas and get it up and running. Last time it was started it was in 2012 took it out to the water (lake).
    If it has had gas in it since 2012, then add to your already extensive list 3 x Mukini Original Carb Gasket kits and strip and clean your carbs out - The varnish and crap left from old fuel will make it run like a sack of spuds regardless of all the other mods

+1
    Hello Houston GPR, welcome to the Hulk! If you live in Houston TX, then you are a lucky boy. The best "Go To", GPR guy has a shop in Houston. His name is Richard @ WFO performance. You should contact him, before ordering all the mods you have planned. He will advise you on what you really need ... and in most cases have or locate the parts. He will not over sale you things that will not really get you where you want to go. Do your self a BIG favor, and seek him out .... you will save so much time & $$$. He is on this forum also. Good Luck

4. +1 by:

Thanks for the response fellow riders. I contacted him back in 2012 (WFO) but didn't ride so I let that go. Now I'm getting back in it and need to contact him again and get my boat up and running again. I also remember riding with Fercho way back when I first purchased my boat. I should have done all the mods then. Fast forward to today now I'm ready, I'm going to need 2 batteries also first off going to try to charge the 2012 batteries maybe they will take a charge. In 2012 the skis had been down about 7 years so I purchased 2 batteries from WFO I believe and siphoned most of the old gas out got new gas pulled the plugs fogged the cylinders w/WD40 and ran the engine with no plugs to loosen things up. Then installed the plugs and they fired right up just like when new, went to the lake and ran fine like when new. Most gas now has the ethanol in it and that gas has to be treated or dumped. I prefer to dump it shit is bad after a few months.Pretty sure I may get away with it again will keep ya posted.

+1
    Thanks for the update. If your up for it ... you can try your hand @ CC. There will be a ProWatercross tour race in Dallas, July 17-19. Even if 1st time you will surprised @ how much fun, it can be. You learn a lot & ride like hell .... you feel young again LOL.

Ozark not ready for that I'm mainly a recreational rider with a grudge race need every now and then. This weekend (Saturday 06-06-15) I will be purchasing 2 new batteries and will try to get the boats back up and running. I'm going a different approach this time if possible, instead of siphoning the gas out I'm going to try to put a little air pressure in the tank and disconnect the fuel filter and try to push all the old gas out. Then go back with new gas and add a little oil to it. Pull the plugs fog the cylinders and run it like that and try to introduce new gas into the carbs and motor. Then install plugs and try to fire it. Will do that to my GPR 1200 and the wifes 97 ZXI. If all goes well I will try to get to the water. If all goes well there I will be going to the Kawi dealer and picking up a new 310LX. Then let the mods begin. The Kawi will not be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Thanks for the update. If your up for it ... you can try your hand @ CC. There will be a ProWatercross tour race in Dallas, July 17-19. Even if 1st time you will surprised @ how much fun, it can be. You learn a lot & ride like hell .... you feel young again LOL.

Took my 1200R out and it performed great top speed measured with my I phone app max speed was 64.4MPH. Not bad considering I put a little too much oil in the gas just because it was its first time out in a long time. My boat is completely stock no mods at all. I have gone faster in it but water conditions were not as good. What would be the best single speed mod for this boat. Also noticed I just broke 30hrs. Getting the wifey a Kawasaki 310 Ultra and already know they do 68MPH.

Thread Information