Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Check Eng Light flashes -runs ok

04 MSX 150- check eng light flashes starts continuously starts and runs good accelerates fine RPM to 7500 all good then RPM's would drop to 5000, I shut it off restart now runs perfectly, no RPM issues. got back from water test and looked under seat and did see oil around the pcv vent looking thing. anyone have any thoughts? This one would not run after storage was a crank no start I was able to determine IFB module cause I have 2 of the machines.

+1
    Probably overboost. Do you have the old style boost valve?

+1
    Agreed. It does sound like your overboosting... which will trigger a check engine indicator and 4800 RPM limiter. But after you turn off then back on... it goes away until you overboost again. Check your wastegate arm where the rod from the actuator connects. You should be able to grab the rod and push downwards towards the side of the ski and should feel it open an inch or so...then snap back shut. If this rod/arm will not budge... or is very hard to open... could be seized or on it's way. Lubricate that spot where the wastegate arm comes out of the exhaust turbo manifold.

Could also be a wastegate solenoid (aka boost valve). As Hiperco asked... do you have the updated style solenoids that mount on a small bracket that attaches to the valve cover? If not... the old style that attaches to the turbo... those are prone to fail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WG-solenoid.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	360915

Cheers!

+1
    Also sounds like you ingested oil. I would make sure the oil level is not to full.

Thanks guys I will look into
    Is the wastegate solenoid/boost valve in the picture the updated one? Also where do I get them?
    I have 2 of these machines if I swap wastegate solenoids will the light go off immediately pretending that's the causal failure?

+1
    If your light is off until you goose it, and the reason for overboost is a bad solenoid, then swapping the solenoid should fix it. I have the same problem, I'm working on changing my old style out, its not the easiest thing to do. Removing the hose between the turbo and intercooler helps.

Regarding the new design, info here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=231298

+1
    Agreed. If you put in a good wastegate and take it for a spin... it should no longer overboost... so no more rev limiting or flashing light.

The one in the picture on the bracket is the updated version. You can buy the full update kit from Randy at WeberPower (dot com).

Cheers!

I will check tonight when get home and update, I reached out to Randy cause I have some other parts on order with him

Thank you for your help guys

Problem has been fixed, it appears there were 2 issues the boost valve and cleaned the map sensors. Light off and no overboost rpm reduction!!!

Thank you guys

+1
    Great to hear.

If you still have the stock round metal oil tank (the upgraded oil tank w/ rollover tank is highly recommended)... be very careful of rollovers. They almost always cause the dreaded oil ingestion issues. And watch your oil level... check it properly. Too much oil will also cause oil ingestion.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information