Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Riding in Florida and peeling paint issues.

I have 2014 VXR, I am from St. Louis heading to Panama City Fl. next week, with my ski. I was looking for some info on where to ride in PC and the best place to launch? Also some tips on salt water riding? My second issues is the hull paint peeling issues. I have been approved by Yamaha to have to hull repaired. I am just curious what all is involved with the repair? Also what would happen if I just ignore the issue. Thanks in advance!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VXRSS View Post
    I have 2014 VXR, I am from St. Louis heading to Panama City Fl. next week, with my ski. I was looking for some info on where to ride in PC and the best place to launch? Thanks in advance!!
    I spent a few years on PCB. If you are indeed heading to Panama City, the city marina at the end of Harrison Ave is the place to launch. If your destination is actually Panama City Beach, you will want to find something closer. Lots of riding. Shell island is a good spot to picnic. Hathaway's Landing, the worlds largest "Palapa hut" on the water just over the Hathaway bridge makes a great boating destination for lunch / dinner / drinks etc, if they're still in business. Been a while since I've been back, but the redneck Riviera doesn't change much. Easy going folks. You should have a good time.

Oh yea, Pineapple Willie's on the beach. Jack Daniels BBQ ribs. Worth over paying for..
    And Ms Newby's, if you want to have some drinks with the locals.

I live in Panama City and the best launch is the closest one to were you will be staying. Boat launches are everywhere so you shouldn't have a problem finding one close by. Hathaway Landing is no more. I think it was claimed by a storm (Ivan). There's a condo there now. Some tips for saltwater riding. Wash your ski/trailer after every ride. As well as hooking your ski to the hose to wash the salt from your engine. This is critical! A must do after every ride! Summer weather is here so you will see afternoon storms roll through just about every day, but they usually last for an hour or 2. Shell Island is definitely a hub for anyone/everyone in the area with a vessel. If you can manage the pass leading to the Gulf (swells can get a little hairy not to mention boat traffic) you will enjoy the crystal clear water of the Gulf Coast. Breath taking to say the least! With any luck, you'll get to ride along some dolphins. As a matter of fact, I don't think there has been one time this year that I haven't seen a dolphin while riding. PM me if you'd like and I'd be happy to help answer any questions you may have.

+1
    Pcb local here as well, you may want to look into an pwc anchor especially if you have issues as beaching your ski may accentuate your problem. If the gulf gets choppy you can park on the backside of shell island and walk over to the Gulf side. Water is usually calm in the am and starts to kick up usually around noon due to the sea breeze. Google Earth if you haven't already for area familiarity. If you know where you are staying we might be able to suggest a ramp close by. Hathaway bridge ramp (Carl grey park) can be shallow so you may have to back in a bit and is Sand so 4wd might be advisable if launching there. St Andrews park on pcb is nice, is closest to island, and pass but can be a cluster on weekends... plus you have to pay for entry. Those along along with city and St Andrews marina are the most popular and will be busiest.

+1
    ^ I know at least one of you two locals has got to be shaking your head for my endorsement of Ms. Newby’s for OP from St. Louis.

+1
    You would be suprised, Ms Newby's is two stories now with a bar upstairs and outside deck...and yes I have my hunch punch stories from my wilder days, and remember it well coming back up and out my nose/mouth. Being you spoke of Hathaway landing tells me it has been many years and you probably would be suprised at all the development.... especially pier park on the west end of the beach

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    You would be suprised, Ms Newby's is two stories now with a bar upstairs and outside deck...and yes I have my hunch punch stories from my wilder days, and remember it well coming back up and out my nose/mouth. Being you spoke of Hathaway landing tells me it has been many years and you probably would be suprised at all the development.... especially pier park on the west end of the beach
    Looking back, it’s hard to believe just how long is has been. I moved into the Sandpiper Beacon somewhere around my 21st birthday while we were opening the Family Pool and Spa that used to be up on Harrison Ave. Spent darn near four years of paychecks on that beach, before being forced into adulthood. Gotta get up that way one of these days to see the place as it exists today...

You wouldn't recognize it! Front Beach is nothing but condos. You can't even see the water from the road anymore. Spring Break this past year was the worst I've seen. Emergency ordinance's to halt drinking on the beach until the end of spring break, a portable court room for those college criminals always on the go, but I believe the balcony deaths were minimal. Yeah....I was kinda like when you mentioned Ms Newby's. That's the 'Run before you walk' mentality. Down town PC hasn't changed much but like xxx2 mentioned, the beach is a whole different story.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KBizzl View Post
    You wouldn't recognize it! Front Beach is nothing but condos. You can't even see the water from the road anymore. Spring Break this past year was the worst I've seen. Emergency ordinance's to halt drinking on the beach until the end of spring break, a portable court room for those college criminals always on the go, but I believe the balcony deaths were minimal. Yeah....I was kinda like when you mentioned Ms Newby's. That's the 'Run before you walk' mentality. Down town PC hasn't changed much but like xxx2 mentioned, the beach is a whole different story.
    Disappointing to hear about the condos. Guess the market boom didn’t leave PCB unaffected. I’ve got a picture of my brother and I on our motorcycles parked on Front Beach with nothing between us and the water but sand..

Hard to imagine spring break getting worse. MTV was blowin the place up back in the day. After satisfying that initial urge to “party with thousands” I steered clear of that fiasco. Good to hear the balcony deaths are down and they've streamlined the judicial process.

“Run before you walk!” LMAO That should have been on their t-shirts.

+1
    I am from St.Louis also. Where you ride locally?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information