Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    +1

99 gsx rfi hard to no start on water. please help!

took the seadoo out for the first time this year yesterday. it started right up in the water but had to give it some throttle. rode for awhile, shut her down wouldnt start unless i floored the throttle but did start right up. ran for awhile again and running like a champ while it's running. took a 15 min break, checked both spark plugs mocha brown and dry. then no wont start no matter what. luckily i was right next to the ramp so i trailer ed it pulled the plugs and both were wet with gas. to give a bit of history last year new engine (ses) new fuel pump and filters, fuel regulator, charging regulator with a 4 tec one from osd, new tps reset by me with candoo, ohm checked every sensor pass, did everything. leak tested the injectors pass. seems to dump too much fuel when trying to start hence is why sometimes when holding wot it will start. injectors sometimes show short to ground on the candoo as a occurred code. the only thing i can think of is replace the injectors.. even tho i had them professionally tested, cleaned and flow tested. i also triple checked the rv timing and clearance and is within spec. also replaced the rv cover o ring. what am i missing??
    any help wound be much appreciated as this is the starting of the 2nd season i am battling this. i am about ready to junk it!

+1
    Check compression... I bet it's low on compression... I understand it was a new motor, but check it anyway.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    ran good now not at all?

I'd take a hard look at the ignition coil. Those things can drive you nuts with intermittent operation

Toss another franklin into the fire. It's worth it for that ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ran good now not at all?

I'd take a hard look at the ignition coil. Those things can drive you nuts with intermittent operation

Toss another franklin into the fire. It's worth it for that ski.
    thanks, what should i look for and as far as testing? i did start it in the garage with all the lights off and no spark leakage. can a coil loose resistance when warm from running awhile? how to test?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd also have a hard look at the throttle cable/tps setup. it's pretty tricky. Holding the throttle wfo should disable the ignition ( drowned mode) If memory service.
    I'd double check it and perhaps reset it again

a typical fail mode is when the coil has been firing for a while.

seeing you were ready to junk it, go out and just buy a new coil

you have a lot of time invested here and it seems you have gone thru things pretty well and have the tools to accomplish this repair.

you could have a harness problem, but any electronic problem, no matter how insignificant will put the ecu in limp mode.

the coil seems like a logical suspect, an error that won't be recorded as once the cdi fires, it can't tell if the spark was delivered or not.

unless of course the new engine has bad crank seals or is leaking air.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I'd also have a hard look at the throttle cable/tps setup. it's pretty tricky. Holding the throttle wfo should disable the ignition ( drowned mode) If memory service.
    I'd double check it and perhaps reset it again

a typical fail mode is when the coil has been firing for a while.

seeing you were ready to junk it, go out and just buy a new coil

you have a lot of time invested here and it seems you have gone thru things pretty well and have the tools to accomplish this repair.

you could have a harness problem, but any electronic problem, no matter how insignificant will put the ecu in limp mode.

the coil seems like a logical suspect, an error that won't be recorded as once the cdi fires, it can't tell if the spark was delivered or not.

unless of course the new engine has bad crank seals or is leaking air.
    thanks for the reply,
    i bought a new tps sensor last year and reset it by loosening the idle screw to ensure the throttle plate was fully closed did the reset with my candoo pro, then up the idle to 2200 rpm on trailer but is idling 1600 rpm in the water. a little much i know but doesn't bother me much. you say a tipical fail mode when the coil has been firing awhile meaning running awhile and after shut off and fails during restart? seems logical to me. and you say cdi dont know that the coil is not firing but the fuel injectors keep delivering fuel hence fouling the plugs. is that correct?

+1
    coil pack ordered will post results.

+1
    Fouling plugs? I'll even say it again... before I threw down anymore cash I would definitly check compression...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Fouling plugs? I'll even say it again... before I threw down anymore cash I would definitly check compression...
    i did last night 145 mag and 150 psi pto it is the same as it was new.

+1
    so while waiting for my coil to arrive i tested the ohm's on my fuel injectors. specs are 2.3-2.5 ohm's at 68 degrees f ambient temp.
    i got 3.0-3.1 both injectors around 75 f in my garage. what do you think? are they bad? i checked them at the amp 4 plug pins 18 and 20 and pins 19 and 21as per manual.
    Last edited by jammin777; 06-07-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information