Me again! Ultra 150 fine on hose but not in water?

Hey Guys

My friend has an ultra 150 that he bought in a bit of a sorry state, a friend has stripped the engine down and re buit the carbs and replaced things like corroded bolts and fixings, the ski engine itself runs sweet, idles and revs well.

His problem - Run on the hose and everything is running fine, water comes out all the outlets and runs nice and cool. Put it in the water and just a trickle from the pisser and the water is hot, after 2 mins heat warning on the dash...

Any ideas?

+1
    Sounds like something blocking the water supply from the pump to the engine. Did he connect all the hoses to the correct spots on the transom?
    The water comes from the pump top the "water Log" that splits the supply to the 3 cylinders.
    Common plugging spots are the head fittings, the 3 of them need to be removed and cleaned.
    On the hose, the water flows the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Sounds like something blocking the water supply from the pump to the engine. Did he connect all the hoses to the correct spots on the transom?
    The water comes from the pump top the "water Log" that splits the supply to the 3 cylinders.
    Common plugging spots are the head fittings, the 3 of them need to be removed and cleaned.
    Head fittings sound a good place to start! How do you get to them do you know? I take it as you said the water would not flow through them on the hose so it might be a great place to look!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoyMinster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Head fittings sound a good place to start! How do you get to them do you know? I take it as you said the water would not flow through them on the hose so it might be a great place to look!

the brass "L" shaped fittings on the top of each head, remove the hose, unscrew and check for blockages.
    The main cooling hose comes out from under the cylinders, on the right from the rear of the ski, to the pump assembly
    When running on the hose, was there water coming out of the jet pump, not around the pump, actually out of the pump? If so, the main cooling line is not plugged.

Doubt its the head fittings if it work's on the hose. He could always run it in the water and feel which portions of the engine feel hotter. Everything should be warm but not to hot to touch. If he tore it down did he inspect all the ports and such?

I had one ski where the guy put a stinger mod on put installed the gasket wrong. So there was a blocked flow at the end of the pipe. The cylinders and pissers were cool and the flow was good but the indicator would come on and go into limo mode. Pipe was hotter then hell to touch, i think you have a restriction from the pump to cooling manifold. Theres where i would start

Well we inspected the cooling hoses and main culprits were the main hose that went from jet pump to engine, full of sand and shells.

I would replace that hose with a brand new 1/2 inch heater hose. Glad you found it

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    While you are at I would take the three L fittings out and replace them with straight fittings....

+1
    I'd install a Strainer, however, it wouldn't keep the supply hose from getting plugged.

Thread Information