Yam 2 cylinder hours VS compression?

Just curious what ya'll think about this...I have a recently acquired 800xl with @ 235 hours on it...I just checked compression and its dead on at 123 each cylinder! I was obviously quite happy about this but was wondering if this is possible and/or normal? You think gauge has been changed, top end rebuilt or just normal? Thanks for replies!

I have a 2004 xlt 800 with around 180 hours and it's at 134 and 135. Only thing I've done is upgrade the power valves after first 25 or so hours.

oh, ok thanks...I thought stock was 120-125 ish did the valves raise compression? how much?

120 stock......with a good gauge. 235 I would do a top end just for insurance purposes. Cheaper to do it now vs it blowing up and having to renick a cylinder. Wouldn't be more than a couple of hundred dollars Pro X makes a nice set that I have used in the past comes with the rings I believe too. SO just need a set of gaskets and wrist pin bearings

Power valves will get it first. I would change them out ASAP unless you can prove they have been recently replaced/upgraded.

+1
    I just tore down an 800 this weekend with a bad lower rod bearing thrust washer. The front piston looked nice except for a few small aluminum shavings sitting on top. The power valve has a nice newly cut edge to it and was just about to fall into the cylinder when the thrust washer came apart and locked up the crank.

Thread Information