MSX 150 Turbo not kicking in

Does anyone have an idea to assist me? I have a 2004 MSX 150 which has run great as long as I have owned it. This past year, the turbo would not kick in. It starts and runs fine to 3500 RPMs but stalls at that point where the turbo would take over. The turbo will not kick in. It occassionally will kick in and run for about 5 - 10 seconds and then stop again. Is this a sensor issue? I dont have a maintenance book so unable to trace out any problems. Any advice is appreciated. It is has been a real good fast ski and hate to trash it because I cant find the problem. Thx.

+1
    Do you have a check engine light when this happens? Does the engine run smoothly otherwise? An accurate report of the RPM's that you can reach is important. Is your oil properly filled? Some good information can be found at this link also: https://sites.google.com/site/polari...10-and-msx-150

Thanks and I will have to get back to lake before I can check but will repost after that I believe oil should be properly filled but will advise. Thanks for quick reply.

+1
    Could be as simple as a bad SIFB... semi-common electrical component that fails. It could be telling the ECU you're in reverse... when your actually not... and the ECU is rev limiting you to 3400rpm. Also check your wastegate arm is not seized. That would likely overboost you though... instead of your described condition. But grab the rod coming out of the wastegate actuator can (on top exhaust manifold) and push it downwards towards the side of the hull... it should move an inch... then snap back closed via spring pressure. If problem persists... you will definitely want to do a compression test on both cylinders. Cheers!

Wastegate arm is moving manually. Oil seems properly filled. All else appears fine. The RPM is limited to 3400 and the check engine light goes off after about 10 seconds so must assume you are spot on ripcuda!!

So where do i get the SIFB part as understand they are impossible to find. Did someone get a replacement part which i think i read on a different thread?? Thanks much for your expert advice.

+1
    Contact Randy at Weber Power. He sells an aftermarket SIFB module for the MSX 110/150. You will loose the auto-shutdown feature for when the engine is off and you leave the lanyard still in that the OEM unit had. With the aftermarket version, you must pull the lanyard out (when engine is off) or the system will stay powered-up and drain the battery eventually. Or you could try to find a used one for sale on fleabay... but they do go bad so would be a gamble.

You can also order online. http://weberpower.com/electrical-IFB...ypass-kit.html

Cheers!

7. +1 by:

Thanks. I have ordered and will let you know if this corrects issue. Really appreciate your help.

latest update. I put in new SIFB and went through the reset of ECU shown on ripcuda's links. Still not running right. Check engine light comes on and stays on now the entire time it is running. RPM max is now at 2800 versus prior of 3400 with old SIFB. What else should I be looking for?? I did look at the wastegate arm which moves manually and measured about 60 ohms across that unit. From another thread I read that is too high?? Not a mechanic so running out of ideas to try. Dont have a manual so not sure what else to do Thanks for any thoughts..

+1
    Looks like we're going to have to dig deeper. More testing. Lots more questions...

Okay...
    When it ran great, what was the MAX RPM and speed you saw at wide open throttle (WOT)?
    When did it last run normally/great for you?
    Any "event" that could have caused the change in performance? (ski rolled over? ski flooded? lent it to someone else?)

Are you aware of the correct oil level checking procedure? Do you keep your oil level correct?

You need to do a compression test. Loan-a-tool compression tester from Autozone if you don't have one. Unplug and remove coil packs (5mm hex cap bolt). Remove both spark plugs (5/8" plug socket or deep-well with extension). Thread in compression tester. Crank while squeezing throttle trigger full open... crank until gauge stops rising. Record #. Move to 2nd cylinder. Repeat. Tell us your #s.

How do those spark plugs look? If they are old... consider replacing. Champion RC7PYCB preferred. I'd bet they are very black and sooty.

Do you have a borescope? Great way to peek inside cylinders through plug hole and inspect cylinder walls... for possible plating failure.

Remove the hardpipe between the intercooler and the throttle body. You can leave the stub hose connected to the Blow Off Valve (BOV) on... it'll come off all together. Be sure to unplug the MAP sensor.
    -- Is there any oily gunk or heavy oil layer inside this hard pipe?
    -- Is the MAP sensor gunked up?

Peak down in the top of the electronic throttle body (ETB). Put in the lanyard. You have that new SIFB installed, right? (if using original SIFB, tap start button to wake system up, but do NOT start engine) You should hear the fuel pump humm and the ETB click at this point. Slowly squeeze throttle trigger and verify the ETB throttle plate is moving in relation to your squeeze... all the way to full open. Pause 2 secs... release slowly to zero throttle... pause 2 secs. Repeat a few more times. Then pull the lanyard out. Did the ETB sweep fully open, fully closed in sync with your trigger?

Remove coolant jug cap. Any oil slick on top the coolant in there? What color is it?

Check oil level. Where on the dipstick (not screwed in for check) is the oil level?
    -- any foam/gunk on the dipstick?

Let's start there... your answers to these questions... will paint a more clear picture of what your dealing with.

Cheers!

Thread Information