Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can someone help a newbie?

Hello all!
    Like many others I'm new to this whole forum thing. I recently purchased a 92 650 sl 3 cylinder jet ski. I bought it for $100 knowing that it wasn't operational. I know, it was a silly move but I wanted a toy I could tinker with. The guy said he had it turning over last year but it wasn't getting spark. He did a compression check on all 3 cylinders. The outside ones had good compression and the center one had mediocre compression, not 100% on the numbers there. A friend and I started to tear into the motor. All 3 pistons and rings looked good, the cylinders looked good. Hopefully I can have some pics up tomorrow for you guys. We pulled the motor out and found the crank case had a crack in it. I'm assuming from nobody draining the water out of it? I'm pretty sure its a water cooled motor. I could be wrong lol. I guess what I'm trying to get at, is this ski worth saving? it needs a few hundred bucks in it, I could probably save some money and heartache by buying a complete motor but at the same time I could probably take that money and buy a running ski or something very close. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This guy just wants to hit the water!

Sorry! I bought it for $200 lol

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    New reman engine from SBT is $600.

http://www.shopsbt.com/polaris-jet-s...1994-1995.html

If you rebuild it yourself you may be able to just buy the busted parts off ebay and reuse much of the rest.

Full gasket set is $100, so if all other parts are good I'd figure $150 for carb kits (3), $100 for gaskets and find a case on ebay for $50 or so, and you're up to $500 invested.

So do you think I could get away with just replacing the crank and crank case and new gasket set? I think the carbs were just rebuilt a few years ago. The ski has newish looking stickers on it from a marine service center and the lines and hose clamps look new on the carbs. Sorry still don't have pics yet. Appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    New reman engine from SBT is $600.

http://www.shopsbt.com/polaris-jet-s...1994-1995.html

If you rebuild it yourself you may be able to just buy the busted parts off ebay and reuse much of the rest.

Full gasket set is $100, so if all other parts are good I'd figure $150 for carb kits (3), $100 for gaskets and find a case on ebay for $50 or so, and you're up to $500 invested.

If you are putting a brand new block in it, might as well rebuild the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by viper1313 View Post
    Do I need to replace the crank with the crank case or can I reuse the same crank? Yeah I might as well rebuild the carbs. I found rebuild kits for cheap on ebay

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by x7h4_805 View Post
    Do I need to replace the crank with the crank case or can I reuse the same crank?

Yeah I might as well rebuild the carbs. I found rebuild kits for cheap on ebay
    Don't use cheap carb rebuild kits. Watcon sells Polaris specific genuine OEM carb rebuild kits. Cost effective and the quality is consistently good. Aftermarket carb rebuild kits often seem to cause trouble on these engines.

You might be able to get away with making a good engine with your existing crank, but have you inspected it to make sure it's indexed properly / still in good shape?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by x7h4_805 View Post
    Do I need to replace the crank with the crank case or can I reuse the same crank?

Yeah I might as well rebuild the carbs. I found rebuild kits for cheap on ebay
    Don't use cheap carb rebuild kits. Watcon sells Polaris specific genuine OEM carb rebuild kits. Cost effective and the quality is consistently good. Aftermarket carb rebuild kits often seem to cause trouble on these engines.

Ok friend. I will look into getting OEM parts for my Polaris. I can understand what you mean about aftermarket parts. I don't really want any future problems

You might be able to get away with making a good engine with your existing crank, but have you inspected it to make sure it's indexed properly / still in good shape?
    No sir I haven't. I would imagine that the crank could be bad since the block froze and cracked?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information