Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

North East Lake for vacation

I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for a Lake to vacation at this summer. Looking to bring the RXP, my dog, and the wife. Ideally I would like a larger lake or even a river that has some activity and restaurants/bars on the lake so I don't get bored. Not sure if there is anything like that up here. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I typically ride in the CT river or LI sound, was just looking for something a little different.

Neil

+1
    Thousand Islands, ny/Canadian border

lake George. ( lots of rules, not many ski stops)

Onieda lake. ( sylvan beach, rural type(cheap) bars,

finger lakes are beautiful but I'm not sure about stops.
    Skaneateles lake is pretty much clean enough to drink. Town is a bit pricey.

Lake Ontario has some good swells.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xpme08 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for a Lake to vacation at this summer. Looking to bring the RXP, my dog, and the wife. Ideally I would like a larger lake or even a river that has some activity and restaurants/bars on the lake so I don't get bored. Not sure if there is anything like that up here. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I typically ride in the CT river or LI sound, was just looking for something a little different.

Neil
    Lake George fits the bill for a larger lake with activity and restaurants/bars. Sacandaga Lake is a decent size but I'm not sure what they have for activities, restaurants, and bars.

Thousand Islands is boaters paradise. Plenty of rentals with or without boathouses for a week. Or stay in Watertown and trailer back and forth.

5. +1 by:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, never heard of thousand islands looks like a nice place. I am finding that most nice places are booked already but either way I appreciate the help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xpme08 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations guys, never heard of thousand islands looks like a nice place. I am finding that most nice places are booked already but either way I appreciate the help!
    http://www.chelkalodge.com/

They may be booked but it is worth a shot. They have dock space available for their guests and the spot is not far from Bolton Landing which is the nicest area of Lake George for dining and things of that nature.

+1
    Lake George is one of my favorite places to go and I usually make the trip there at least once a year...we stay for 2-7 days depends on how far we plan ahead, our available vacationing time and funds of course..lol. Raider mentioned about the rules...no pwc down in the Village and that bites. One year I said f'it and rode in and docked..they're stationed right on the water so I got a ticket but was well worth it. Water is crazy clean and some real interesting cove areas to venture around. The middle can get pretty rough.

9. +1 by:

+1
    lake winnipesaukee in nh is a great large lake to explore. lots of ports of call, lots of coves and islands to weave around, open areas, etc. the weekends are crazy busy but early mornings and during the week is mint. there is a 45 mph limit (have not had a problem) and a 150 rule that is strictly enforced, especially for skis.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKman View Post
    lake winnipesaukee in nh is a great large lake to explore. lots of ports of call, lots of coves and islands to weave around, open areas, etc. the weekends are crazy busy but early mornings and during the week is mint. there is a 45 mph limit (have not had a problem) and a 150 rule that is strictly enforced, especially for skis.
    +1 on all of this. The boat patrol are jetski nazis on lake winnipesaukee. Fun lake when it isn't packed.

13. +1 by:

+1
    After some weekday fun on Winnepesake, head over to Squam Lake (10 minutes from Center Harbor in the north) or Winne Squam. Both a little smaller but close and not as crowded on the weekend. Lake George can get like an ocean on the weekend...especially when windy. You need a rough water setup for a 2 seater to have any fun on the weekends there.
    FYI....you'll need a GPS with a trackfinder to find your way back easily on Winnepesake. Its wide and has a ton of coves. Easy to get "lost."

15. +1 by:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information