Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New PWC owner, a few questions!

Hello all. I've just jumped in to the world of PWC fishing. I have a brand new Yamaha FX HO sat in my garage. I'm excited and a little nervous!

I'm based in New Zealand and have been kayak fishing for 5 years. Found that I was pushing it further offshore all the time and wanted something with a bit more power than my arms!

A few questions have come up. First up is fish finder fitting. It seems to be something that is discussed a lot and although I think I read every thread going, can't quite get the answers I'm looking for, so

1. If I went with fixing the transducer inside the hull, where an earth is the best spot in the 2015 FX HO?

2. If I went with an external/stern transducer mount, what's the best way of routing the cable?

Oh and something else...

3. Regarding the jet of water that comes up through the boarding deck. I have a chilli bin/cooler box semi-permanently mounted on the deck, so am thinking about disconnecting the pipe on the underside of the deck. If I do so, is it OK to just leave it flapping in the wind?

Replies much appreciated

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Hello all. I've just jumped in to the world of PWC fishing. I have a brand new Yamaha FX HO sat in my garage. I'm excited and a little nervous!

I'm based in New Zealand and have been kayak fishing for 5 years. Found that I was pushing it further offshore all the time and wanted something with a bit more power than my arms!

A few questions have come up. First up is fish finder fitting. It seems to be something that is discussed a lot and although I think I read every thread going, can't quite get the answers I'm looking for, so

1. If I went with fixing the transducer inside the hull, where an earth is the best spot in the 2015 FX HO?

2. If I went with an external/stern transducer mount, what's the best way of routing the cable?

Oh and something else...

3. Regarding the jet of water that comes up through the boarding deck. I have a chilli bin/cooler box semi-permanently mounted on the deck, so am thinking about disconnecting the pipe on the underside of the deck. If I do so, is it OK to just leave it flapping in the wind?

Replies much appreciated
    I recently bought my Garmin echomap 43dv and when I opened the package found that it came with a transom/trolling mount style transducer. I wasnt really needing that part of it but since it came with one i became curious of where and how this would work on my ski ( 2013 FX HO ). naturally I resorted to youtube for answers bc not everyone has the same ski but i did find these videos which should help out with two of your questions.

1. This video shows an in-hull transducer being mounted inside the hull .....luckily he used the same ski you and I have.

2. If you decide to mount your transducer externally on the transom and dont want to drill holes in the hull you can try this video out. He doesnt really say where he got his material from but I actually found a similar material at walmart. And that material I found was a plastic / composite cutting board in the kitchen/ cooking section. Not saying this is what i would do as to me being skeptical of this idea but im just giving you resources.

3. The water spout in the rear was another thing i was planning on working on myself bc i ride with groups and dont like getting sprayed when trailing someone and so i went to find a solution. The easiest way to take take of the spout is to put a small manual valve in the factory hose. That way your not completely deleting the spout but will allow you to turn it of and on with the twist of the valve. you can find it at your local hardware store or online.

Anyways hope this helps out

Thanks for taking the time to reply AlabamaPWC. Looks like the answers are there!

+1
    Not a problem man! Glad I could help.. Keep posting any question you might have..plenty of more people with good advice are on this website! It's been a life saver for me!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Hello all. I've just jumped in to the world of PWC fishing. I have a brand new Yamaha FX HO sat in my garage. I'm excited and a little nervous!I'm based in New Zealand and have been kayak fishing for 5 years. Found that I was pushing it further offshore all the time and wanted something with a bit more power than my arms!A few questions have come up. First up is fish finder fitting. It seems to be something that is discussed a lot and although I think I read every thread going, can't quite get the answers I'm looking for, so1. If I went with fixing the transducer inside the hull, where an earth is the best spot in the 2015 FX HO?2. If I went with an external/stern transducer mount, what's the best way of routing the cable?Oh and something else...3. Regarding the jet of water that comes up through the boarding deck. I have a chilli bin/cooler box semi-permanently mounted on the deck, so am thinking about disconnecting the pipe on the underside of the deck. If I do so, is it OK to just leave it flapping in the wind?Replies much appreciated
    Im in NZ tooWhere are you based?Id recommend the Lowrance units - I supply and install them on skisExternal transducer is best way to goDisconnect the Gay-spray no problems

Hi mate, I'm in Whangarei. I've mounted my fish finder head unit. Pretty happy with it. Working on the transducer now. I've also decided that an external transducer is going to suit my needs better. Any tips on routing the transducer cable?

+1
    Remove one of the drain bungs and put the cable out the hole, then drill hole in the bung, slot 1/2, clip over cable, screw back in, then a bit of RTV and its done. No holes in the hull

+1
    Leave your new ski transom along, your transducer would work just fine that mounted in the inside of the hull if you did it correctly.

+1
    Good luck with your new Ski.

I think some people use the spout to keep the water fresh when they use the cooler as a bait well..

Steve

some good thoughts there either way. cheers guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information