Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie on the Site and New to my 03 GPR!!

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this site! I have been reading a decent amount about GPR's and I managed to pick up an 03 GPR1300 with 130hrs on it for $4400! I think I got a fair deal on it and Im very eager to start getting into modding this thing. I come from a snowmobile to this machine so I dont really know how any of this bilge pump, and propulsion stuff work but thanks to this site and these forums Im able to learn practically anything on this machine. So I bought it and the guy had ran amsoil in it which I didn't see the problem because I run it in my sled. all three cylinders at 110psi bang on and it started no problem. Ive ridden it so far all around 15 minutes the weather here hasnt been the greatest. I have reasons to believe the injectors are a little gunked up because I have a low rpm bog when I punch the throttle plus bad gas. after reading on this site I feel like I bought the wrong ski tho, 2003's were yamaha's worst year for these things, The previous owner had said the tunnel pump reinforcement has been done but how am I certain of that? I pulled the plug and bought a riva top loader intake grate and a ride plate for it, Looking at a d-plate but too many people suggest a fuel tuner at that point so that's a little much for me. What modifications other then tunnel reinforcement is there to do to fix the bugs on the 03's? Either way Im happy with this purchase and Ill post pictures later today you guys can tell me what you think

+1
    For a 2003 GPR, check that the pump shoe (aluminum piece behind the intake grate) is recessed into the hull approximately the thickness of a nickle. Any less and speed starts to suffer...it can also indicate an inproper pump shoe repair. Updated brackets and a pump tunnel reinforcement piece go inside the hull over the top side of the pump tunnel.

Wave eater powervalve clips and couplers should be installed on the powervalves to prevent them from piston contact.

Remove the catalytic converter and install a d-plate and chip.

See if the throlle cable recall has ever been done. If not, keep an eye on it or do it yourself.

Going from light part throttle to WOT can cause a slight bog on these skis. The non powervalve engines do it worse. Fresh regular unleaded helps if the engine is stock. After compression increases or porting is when a fuel controller is needed along with at least 91 octane if you're 150psi or under. A fuel controller can help the bog without porting or compression, but top speed remains the same.
    A d-plate in no way requires a fuel tuner.

The best piece of advise is to use the forum search function. Also the sticky posts in the performance and FAQ sections are worth their weight in gold and should be required reading for any GPR owner.

+1
    Hello Auzzie, welcome to the Hulk! The things you have heard about the 03 GP1300 R ... are some what true. However, sometimes none of the problems occur. The compression seems a might low @ 110 across the board. But with only 130 hrs ... maybe no issue. To check if tunnel was reinforced ... just pull battery box out (not to difficult to do). You will notice a build up of fiberglass or major discoloration over the rear shaft hump. Hull cracks in tunnel not to much a problem for a ski that runs around 65 mph or less. You are correct ... you do Not need a fuel controller. If you have the top load intake grate & aftermarket ride plate you are in good shape. The most important thing is to ensure you have the cat removed & D-plate installed. This is the 1st adjustment you need to do if not done already. Do you know how to verify if the D-plate has been installed ? If not, let us know. It is a pretty easy "look-see" to check. If you have to install one & remove your cat it is a DIY job .... and one you come to think of as a PITA (pain in the ass). LOL If you have not done it yet drain all old fuel (syphon it out). Then you can be sure of the fuel you use going forward. The amsoil is fine to use, no issues. You did not state where you live. If you are in a Land Down Under .... there are still several GP 1300 riders there .... they will help, you just got to ask. Good Luck

You need a chip when taking the cat out? And ok sounds good my next order ill get a d plate and the tunnel reinforcement, im on Like Simcoe in Ontario Canada, I love this forum, you ask a question and get a full detailed answer! Looks like im spending a bit more money

+1
    Yes it's the temp over ride chip. It's not too expensive for the pre made one. (Like 20 bucks I think) or you can buy a resistor at radio shack and put it in.

Where can I find this chip? Also probably a silly question but Do I need a flush kit for this to run it out of water or is there already on stock, there appears to be an attachment for a hose and its a red line running into the pipe. Looks exactly like a water line but Id want to know for sure before trying it.

+1
    You can purchase a the water flush hose on line . It a very simple plug in and then you can run your ski on your garden hose when testing etc. The price will range from $15 to $25, depending on where you ordered from. Yamaha .... E-Bay ..... Remember when using your flush kit, Always Start engine first, then turn water on. Always Turn water off, Before, shutting off engine ! I have one but rarely use it. Still not bad to have one in your tool box.

+1
    Yes thats where the flush hose attaches that Ozark mentioned. The cat temp chip you need can be found here on the online store. http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=118

Thanks for all the info guys, This weekend I will be getting the D plate, tunnel reinforcement, finger throttle, cat temp sensor chip, R&D ride plate, and finally a Riva top loader intake grate, Still need to figure out if I need any sealant for the ride plate and grate I would assume you need something considering everything needs to be water tight... Also I cant stand how much room the pipes take up on these 1300r's in the hull, I dont want to spend a tong of money on a performance exhaust But I do want to run pod filters to get rid of the intake hoses at the front, Is there enough room under the pipe to do that? I guess I should look tho to see if the cat has been removed before I go all mod hungry LOL, What do I look for in terms of spacers on the exaust or something?

Newbie on the Site and New to my 03 GPR!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433374826.390525.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	360981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433374845.589731.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	360983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433374852.890867.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	360984
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433374899.704642.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	360986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433374950.813703.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	360987
    Here she is, pic five of the engine on the top left that line with a black cap is where I thought was the flush line, i took the decals off because I like the simple white and blue, what I cannot stand is the bulky start/kill switch and how fat the trim adjustment is.. Also you can see the stainless impeller, don't know what the ratio is unfortunately

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information