Thread: 2015 SuperJet

+1

2015 SuperJet

What a blast this is to ride! This is my first new standup I've ever owned. Had a 91 SJ and a 93 Kawi 750 standups in the past. I have gone through 3 full tanks of fuel so far and all is great! I did notice however on glass water conditions the 2015 SJ hull seems to hunt all over and act squirmy. The hull seems to like some chop and loves leaning and carving (which is the whole idea). Is it my lack of ride time on the 2015? Again, just on flat glass water, and going straight on about 1/2 throttle the hull seems to hunt and dart all over the place.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Eddie

+1
    Awesome! Congrats on the new ski! I've never been on a standup, but I know the SJ is quite popular. Not sure how many standup owners are on here, they'll chime in If there is any. I know one guy who loves these things and goes pretty nuts on one doing back flips and stuff. He is a member of the extreme h2o forums. If you don't get your answers here, most of the guys on that forum are standup owners. Good luck with your new ski!

You need a grate and a plate, those will make it very stable! It will handle much better overall.

+1
    I have a 2012 superjet but have ridden standups for a while now and find with the stock ski you get the wobbles at full throttle on smooth water no matter what stance. Do what christian said and add an intake grate and you should be right , i couldn't be bothered with the grate as i ride mainly in surf and find the stock one ok. Add a factory b pipe and you'll love it even more.

+1
    Very long time SuperJet rider here and rode the new hull design (like your '15) for 5 years. I gladly wear the Yamaha SuperJet "fanboy" tag

The chine walking is a very typical complaint with new riders. While it is true an extended ride plate can help, the truth is, once you get better you will figure out the proper stance and no longer have that complaint.

The best "mod" on a standup is....ride time!

As far as intake grate, there are only two worth buying. The R&D Aquavein or the Worx. I ran the R&D and its very aggressive but beware both these intake grates make the ski feel like you are hitting the brakes when you let off gas. For me, an aggressive intake grate is mandatory...why would someone prefer less grip and I always rode surf/waves.

The next best mod is the steering cable mod. While the 2008-up SJ is the best handling (by far) Yamaha has ever made, they screwed up at the last moment when they installed a short throw, short ratio steering cable and mount point. After modding the steering cable attachment point at the handpole, run a '96-'07 steering cable. The difference in turning ability and response is massive! I can't emphasize that enough. A good friend of mine makes them...look here.

There are very few standup riders on this forum and would suggest X-H20.com. Lots of info there!

ps. If you want a ride plate, I have a like new Worx I'd sell for dirt. (example here)

+1
    Thanks everyone for the help and input. I definitely need more ride time! I'll also look into the mods suggested above.

Thanks again!

Eddie

Thread Information