Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

smaller pulleys on 300 series ultras

lets talk about it fellas. ill start this by saying i've had a few inquiries about the pulleys i have for sale so i figure why not start the discussion. i have formed my own opinion but i'm willing to listen to what others have to say as always!!

in the beginning eho advertised smaller pulley setups that he said required 1000cc injectors and a re-map from him. although not a bad marketing deal on his part i don't quite agree. i have had clowns tell me to my face they have some "special pulleys" that make 29psi boost (that i routinely run circles around on the track with my stock pulley setup).

i have emails from eaton stating that these TVS style chargers will only make 17psi of boost, after that they essentially are a heat pump but make no more boost. these chargers are not the roots style blowers where the harder you turn them the more boost they make.

i myself have ran the eho double belt, smaller pulley setup in the past. some/most of you know i have a haltech setup on my ski with the ability to log everything. never once, EVER, have i seen 21psi boost. at points when the throttle gets chopped hard in close course style racing ill see 18-19 spike but thats about it. I've ran so many different setups my head hurts thinking about it but i've turned some near 9000 rpms WITH the smaller setup and never seen 21psi.

that being said i don't think they are a bad thing. in my experience after some time both my skis saw some drop off of peak boost. does that come from some of the coating wearing off the rotors or clearance between the rotors and housing changing i'm not too sure. Now of days i know there are people making smaller charger wheels that will help turn the charger a tad harder and get that boost back up. Unless you get a larger idler pulley or a custom tensioner (kinda like the one i shared) im not sure how you could keep enough tension on the belt with ONLY a smaller charger pulley UNLESS you went through changing the belt to one of the 6pk825 belts which is a little smaller then the 6pk845 which comes stock....

with the smallest setup you can get from eho i saw the boost come on sooner from stock around 5000rpm to around 4000rpm. not making anymore boost then stock, just the initial onset of boost changing place in the rpm scale, i ran it with stock injectors for quite a few hours with no problems on US 91 gas with a scom.

anyone else care to share? this may be the first post i've ever seen go into detail about it although i know others running a smaller setup. if no one else wants to share thats fine and take my info with a grain of salt just like you should with any info from the internet!

+1
    interesting and very factual mike i agree WE all know they are out there cheater pulleys have been around for a few yrs now. im sure the techs have no idea what they are looking for. i agree on the boost perspective as the more air you put into the motor the more you require this is where the boost is at a stale mate.

3. +1 by:

I laugh when guys say they want bigger pulleys. A smaller pulley spins the blower faster.

Banned User
    +1
    Bigger crank pulley does too.... if everything else left the same

+1
    250 cheater pulley back in the day ^

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    i have emails from eaton stating that these TVS style chargers will only make 17psi of boost, after that they essentially are a heat pump but make no more boost. these chargers are not the roots style blowers where the harder you turn them the more boost they make.
    I come from the high performance Mustang world and we commonly use the Eaton TVS blower on our engines. It's a much larger 2.3L design, but the same theories and principles hold true. Once you reach the maximum rotor rpm the supercharger was designed for (rpm/boost map), increasing boost (rpm of the rotors) will only create more heat making it harder on the intercooler and increasing the chance of detonation. We call this the point of diminishing returns. It may look like more on the boost gauge, but you are only making your engine perform on the ragged edge for minimal returns. At this point, we know to go turbo and never look back if you want reliability without limitations of design.

As you said, it makes boost come on stronger, sooner, without a big increase in boost on the top end. Sounds to me like the increased boost is being wasted from the BOV. Despite that, the added heat isn't worth it to me, and the ski already has an industry leading holeshot and mid range performance. Spinning this tiny blower faster than stock, requiring a remapped ECU and higher octane doesn't seem worth it to me.

Banned User
    +1
    These chargers already have a built in over drive in them of 2.1-1 or 2.2-1 (id have to check my notes i cant remember off the top of my head). Sure the engineers didnt build the charger that will explode as soon as you push them a bit harder but as you said theres not much more output left.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    I'd like a little bit more PSI in my tyres........

Waz
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 06-03-2015 at 06:26 AM.

What is with the Dual Belt System from dustin farthing ? Did it Works good ? anyone ?

Banned User
    +1
    It was an eho double belt kit and yes it works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information