+1

GP1200R Hard to Crank

I posted a question last week and got great replies and some good advice. We took the ski out for the second time today and it seemed harder to crank. It would just spin then after 10 min of killing my battery it crank up and ran fine for about and hour. It had sat and cooled off when I decided to run it and all the sudden it would crank right up but keep going dead when I give it gas. I let it idle for maybe 10 min then it ran fine again. I know I have to get the d plate and chip installed because my exhaust temp warning goes off every once in a while. (I've only had the ski 2 weeks). Could this be the reason for the sputtering or should I be looking elsewhere? Should I be running a particular fuel? As far as I know everything is stock and I got some good advice last time on some things I need to do to prevent failure in the future. I'm just still trying to figure the ski out. I'm completely new to them. Any help for this NEWB is greatly appreciated.

+1
    Sounds like the catalytic converter may have broken apart and has clogged the exhaust. No air out= no air in= no start. It may also cause the exhaust temperature to rise out of control hence the alarm. I would pull the pipe and add the d-plate immediately and would not run it again until addressed. If the ski is stock compression and porting, quality regular unleaded is sufficient.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the advice!!! I'm really hoping to take care of both issues with the D-plate and chip...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Sounds like the catalytic converter may have broken apart and has clogged the exhaust. No air out= no air in= no start. It may also cause the exhaust temperature to rise out of control hence the alarm. I would pull the pipe and add the d-plate immediately and would not run it again until addressed. If the ski is stock compression and porting, quality regular unleaded is sufficient.
    I just got the D-Plate and chip in.. is there a thread or video on here someone can point to quickly for directions? I've clicked on a couple and it just goes to an advertising page. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat con 1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	361704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat con 3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	361706
    D-plate and chip installed successful. This being my first ski I was skeptical about doing it myself but it worked out just fine. I'm sure some of you have seen this mess before... Just thought I would share mine for the next newb like myself that comes along

7. +1 by:

+1
    We ran it pretty hard today for about an hour.. no exhaust temp warning is a plus.. It seemed to bog down out of the hole and planing off but didn't notice anything while riding. I was carrying myself and my 16 year old daughter for our first cruise on the lake! The lake was glass and empty.. I couldn't ask for a better ride for our first excursion. Just curious if anyone has had an experience with the hole shot bogging if that's the correct term? If so just let me know what to do. Thanks

+1
    Put some new plugs in it that is a start. The carbs probably need to be rebuilt and cleaned if they haven't yet.

It is normal to have a little bog it can be gotten out though.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    Put some new plugs in it that is a start. The carbs probably need to be rebuilt and cleaned if they haven't yet.

It is normal to have a little bog it can be gotten out though.
    Thanks.. No the carbs haven't been cleaned to my knowledge but I've only had it a few weeks. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I done. I'll change the plugs and go from there.

Thread Information