Question SLT 750 Drive shaft and coupler

I have a 95 SLT 750. Had it since 96. Was in High School then and just ran it. Check gas check oil and go. probably had 7 or 8 years with not a single issue till the oil pump quit. You Guessed it New Motor. Ran for couple of years then acceleration issues. Took it to couple of repair shops and still not right so it sat unrepaired for a year or so till finally after new stator and CDI it was up and running again. Lasted about 2hrs till stripped splines off drive shaft. Took it apart in Garage found the issue and could not get coupler off of motor. Gave up and it has sat for about two years now. So it has really been about five years since we have really rode it. Decided the other day I was going to fix it or sink it one way or the other. I was almost dead set on just junking it and getting it out of my to small garage. Convinced that parts were to hard to find and nobody wanted to work on it. I would have a never ending money pit or lawn ornament. After lots of reading on this site I am surprised to find such a large Polaris community of skiers. Started thinking about my ski a little differently one being that it is probably my fault for not keeping coupler greased that it failed and two that it may just be possible to get it back on the water.
    Try to sum it up.

I got the couple off. Looking for parts is a PAIN
    Looked at lots of sites that had parts schematic for Polaris but none of them had driveshaft or some of the other parts available.
    Found Driveshaft kit made by rareelectrical does not look like mine anyone know if it is a good choice?
    I now know I should change fuel pump and lines. Planning on buying Mikuni kit and don't forget to put restrictor back in return line. anything else I will need? Does kit come with enough fuel line?
    I am going to continue to premix fuel. Do I need to take oil pump off? Will leaving old fuel selector on be fine if the fuel is premixed?

Should I fix it and just sell it? I would like to enjoy it again but am not interested in working on it all the time especially since I am not a mechanic. (What kind of Grease Fitting is on the coupler anyway)

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk. Update your profile with where you are located at. Someone around you may have extra parts for you.

Hi Kahl - Glad you got the coupler off. I am sure you will find one soon. As far as the fuel system, replace all rubber parts, including the hoses inside the tank. Replace the fuel selector, put in a triple outlet fuel pump, & rebuild the carbs (if I can do it anyone can).

John Ziegler at Watcon is very helpful in getting all the right parts. Lastly, you may want to check pump bearings too.

These items will increase the reliability of your boat many times over.

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome.
    Anyone know if drive shaft kit from rareelectrical is good or should I just find OEM Parts.

+1
    I have three part SL750's sitting in the yard. I should be able to get you a shaft. How soon you want it?

JJ

+1
    Welcome Kahl. Finding parts for your ski will be absolutely NO PROBLEM now that you have found the greatest and largest group of Polaris PWC enthusiasts in the WORLD!!!

With a ski as "long in the tooth" as yours is, going through the entire fuel system is a good idea whether you think it's giving you issues or not. A few things that jump to mind when doing this are:

fuel on/off selector valve, INTERNAL Mikuni carb filter and the 2 oneway fuel tank valves.

I've also included a video of a Sea-Doo internal carb filter that shows the importance of not missing this step for piece of mind. Video isn't too clear, but the audio explains how the carb internals can seem mint, but not the filter.

Part #5 in pic #1 is the selector valve and part #'s 10 and 13 in pic #2 are the oneway valves.
    Part#39 in pic #2 is the internal carb filter.

These are are just a few things that jump to mind. They're will be others that are much more organized than I along to help you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	360650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	360649  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by jajardas View Post
    I have three part SL750's sitting in the yard. I should be able to get you a shaft. How soon you want it?

JJ
    From what I have seen looks like sl and slt have the same shaft?
    I would like this repair to last a while are the splines on the shaft you have good?
    I also need a new coupler.
    How much are you asking for yours?
    How could we do payment so that I am guaranteed a good shaft and you are guaranteed payment?

CrazyA Thanks for the info.

+1
    The shaft that I have removed already looks good. I have not removed the coupler yet but I can if you are interested.

PM me and we can work out the details.

Thread Information